III

“Ave Maria,

“Ave Maria,

Gratia plena!

Maria, gratia plena,

Maria, gratia plena!”

V could hear, as clear as day, the solemn music that was coming from the other side of the portal. He walked, reaching the end of the dark tunnel, until light enveloped his entire body, giving him warmth. He finally arrived to his destination. But, all of a sudden, he was met with a violent slash of light that almost ripped him in two. If it weren’t for Griffon, who grabbed the collar of his dark, leather vest just in time, he would probably be as good as dead.

“What the hell?!” Griffon screeched, looking around for any sign of Demons.

V looked around, as well, but saw nothing, except for a pastel pink, fur blanket on the grass beneath his feet, an empty basket, and the radio which played the song, “Ave Maria”. He picked up the blanket and immediately noticed that it was still warm, not to mention very fragrant, like the smell of fresh flowers blooming in the morning.

“She was just here.” V said, his voice almost dropped to a very low whisper.

She?!” Griffon shot back. “How did you even know that was a girl? She tried to chop you like onions!”

Yes, how did he know that? Was it some kind of a strange, gut feeling, or one of his suppressed, male instincts?

“No matter. I’m very certain that we are the ones who are at fault here. We startled her.” he said, purposefully making his voice louder. He took a quick glance at the bushes on his right and noticed something moving behind it. He smiled and placed the soft blanket back down on the ground. “I think I’ll return this.”

“Shall we go after her?”

“There’s,… no need for that.” he answered, making sure that his voice could be heard by that person behind the bushes. He then faced the path before him and walked, making sure that Griffon’s following closely behind him. “We must press on.”

The sun was getting low. Despite that, he still took the time to admire the lush garden of the very familiar place. He had been here, he knew it. And, the moment he arrived at the main road of the city, there was no mistaking it:

He was back at Red Grave.

But, why did the Yamato bring them there, of all places?

It looked as though he would no longer muse any longer, for there, speeding from the distance with a sleek, blue motorcycle, was the boy, himself. Nero was about to pass V when he noticed him standing there on the sidewalk. He put the vehicle to a halt, hitting the break, and stopping right beside V.