XIII

“I’m going out

“I’m going out.” Dante told you a few minutes later after preparing for his next gig. “Hey, you sure you’re not coming?”

You looked up from Dante’s small television and shook your head.

He gave you a look of utter disappointment. “And you’re supposed to be my partner.”

“I just don’t feel like it, sorry.” You muttered monotonously, taking your eyes back to the screen.

The man clicked his tongue. “You’ll regret watching that. Titanic’s gonna make you cry.” He warned.

“Don’t care.”

Dante shook his head. “Whatever.”

After his initial failure of making you join the Devil Hunt, the man got out of the building, fully prepared to take on his mission. He stretched and inhaled, letting the polluted air of the city enter his lungs, and finally stepped out.

“Okay, sunshine!” He said good - naturedly, refusing to get carried away by the negative vibes you just sent him. “Let’s do this - !”

But, before he could even go further away from the building, the door opened abruptly and violently. Dante turned around in surprise as you came out with nothing but your pale pink wool sweaters, alpaca jammies, and a pair of bunny slippers.

“What the hell, (Y/N)?!”

“Stay here.” You grumpily told Dante as you shoved him away and took a few steps forward, away from the building.

“What are you - ?!”

“I said STAY!”

Dante didn’t say anything else as you walked away from him.

Cautiously, you took little steps towards the road, wary of your surroundings,…

… waiting for it to happen -

All of a sudden, the spot in the ground where you stood suddenly caught on fire, engulfing your body with the flaming vortex that seemed to come to life.

“(Y/N)!” Dante called but, he was too late. He saw how your clothes turn to ash, your hair disintegrate, your flesh -

The flame vortex instantly vanished as a seven - foot tall creature made entirely of light appeared in its center, absorbing the flames with a sweep of its long arms. The people around it screamed and scrambled away in fear as it made its way towards the other side of the city, seemingly in search for the source of the magic that caused the flame in the first place.