XII

At last, you were holding onto the discarded mask of a Death Scissor that you’ve slain as proof that you’re worthy to work as Dante’s partner

At last, you were holding onto the discarded mask of a Death Scissor that you’ve slain as proof that you’re worthy to work as Dante’s partner. The man just could not be convinced, saying that he worked alone and that he had no plans of hiring an assistant.

But, here you were, determined to the bone to get hired. You really needed Dante. You knew it was very selfish on your part to actually admit it but, you had no other choice.

And so, with a deep breath, you opened the door and,…

… immediately closed it, unable to process what you just saw inside.

You deeply sighed, feeling your confidence leave your body.

Yes, you were very proud of your achievement, and you just couldn’t wait to show it to Dante.

But, it seemed that he had different things in mind.

You were about to walk away from the building, not once looking back, when the door suddenly burst open. Out came Dante, who clearly looked both embarrassed and annoyed at the same time. He grabbed your right arm and made you look at him.

“Didn’t your mother teach you how to knock?!” he yelled at you, gaining the attention of the people nearby.

You drew back, one eyebrow raised. “Sorry.” you sarcastically blurted out. “The sign says you’re open for business!” you took your arm off his grasp and rubbed it. “Didn’t have the slightest idea that you’re open for something else!”

“You - ”

“Dante, where are you?! We’re not done yet!” came the voice of the woman from within the building, making you cringe.

“I’m sorry for barging in, sir.” you went on with your sarcasm, still not able to rinse your eyes off the sight that you witnessed earlier. “I’ll just tell Morrison that you were busy and that I covered for you.”

“Don’t you dare!” warned Dante in a low voice, trying to avoid the prying eyes of his annoying neighbors.

You gave him an evil smirk. An idea just sparked inside your head.

“No, really. It’s okay.” you pressed on with your act. “I’m sure  Morrison  would understand.”

“Dante!” the woman inside the building playfully whined. The man began sweating nervously.

While it was true that Dante was supposed to be the one who must take on the small Demon - slaying job, it was also true that he declined it, saying that he had better things to do than perform small time requests.