XVI

At first, he thought this was some kind of a practical joke but, when Morrison saw you there, sitting alone on one of the swings of that playground that one particular night, he knew that there was, indeed, trouble

“At this time of the evening?” The Broker asked, his voice laced with concern. “Tell me what happened, my Lady.”

You looked up and smiled weakly, trying your very best to look normal when you could barely subdue your own tears. “Dante has forgotten that I’m coming home.”

Morrison took a seat on one of the swings, joining you. “Why would he forget about a lady such as yourself?”

You shrugged your shoulders helplessly, showing the man just how much this kind of situation drained you emotionally. “I told you about his girlfriend, right?”

“The one who always visits him and - ”

“… takes over the place and his entire schedule, yes.” You finished for him, then sighed. “I intend on using the back door, like I always do. It’s,… locked. I tried the front, no luck. Then, I heard them. They were talking about me.”

The man’s eyebrows furrowed, his sweat trickling down his forehead due to the very tense, yet sad, situation. “What did they say about you?”

“Dante wants me out of his life. He hates me and doesn’t want to see me anymore.”

“He didn’t!”

“Unfortunately, yes.” You sadly confirmed. “I don’t want to quit Devil Hunting. But, it seems that I just got fired.”

“No! Until I say so, you’re not quitting Devil Hunting.”

“What will I do?”

And so, a month later, Dante found himself knocking on the door of your very own unit in one of the most posh apartments in the city.

“Come on, (Y/N). Answer.” The man nervously said as he waited for you to open the door.

“I’m coming!” He heard you say from the other side, and when you finally came to answer, you were startled to find yourself face to face with him.

“Hey, (Y/N)! I - ” Dante began when you tried to close the door on his face. He held it just in time and pleaded. “Wait! Let me explain.”

“You’ve made yourself clear, Sir.” You answered sarcastically, not wanting to let him in at all. “Now, if you would kindly,… ”