XIX

“Fire and ice

“Fire and ice. Night and day. Moon and sun. Twins. They are coming, mama.”

Was dear Cassandra’s prophecy.

Nine months later, Vergil and Dante came to our life. Finally, the gods have answered our prayers. And so, our happy family just became bigger.

*

The moment she laid eyes on him, Andromeda took a great liking to Dante. She always played with him, made him laugh, and when he got a bit older, she started showing him how she trained with the Rebellion. She told him a lot of stories of her adventures with the mighty sword. She influenced him too much that he was starting to grow just like her - courageous and strong, both in will and in body.

And as he grew up with Andromeda, Dante became attached with the Rebellion, as well, and the aspect of slaying Demons with it. More so than her that he begged his father for him to have it. And he relented, saying that he could have it at the right time. A few years later, the two started training together. There never was a pair so perfectly matched and balanced than those two.

Vergil, on the other hand, grew up very differently from Dante. While he was equally strong in both will and in body just like his younger brother, he was wiser than him. Much more than most children of his age.

And during those years of growth, he was watched over by none other than the shy and gentle Galatea.

As soon as he was born, the Bearer of The Past stayed with him. She told him lots of stories, read to him William Blake’s poetry ( he took a great liking to the poet’s Book of Urizen ), and sang to him sweet, sweet lullabies. And above all, she showed him unconditional kindness and gentleness. Just like what I did for her when she was a bit younger. The love I have for her extended to him.

Galatea loved Vergil. So much that she pledged her own life to protect him.

Andromeda for Dante and Galatea for Vergil,…

*

However, during those years of the twins’ growth, Cassandra has become a bit of a recluse. She rarely spoke, rarely ate, and she doesn’t play with her younger siblings anymore. She often isolated herself from us, always watching us from afar.

I tried to speak with her, to convince her to open up, and she would only sigh and glance at me with those dark, sorrowful eyes.

As years went by, she became more and more distant, she, herself, becoming a different person, altogether.

She would watch the weather outside, and would stare for hours when it rained or stormed. Her sisters, including the twins, convinced her to be with them, to no avail.