XXIII

“Winter, spring, summer, or fall,

You know all you have to do is call,

And I’ll be there, yeah!

You’ve got a friiieeennnddd!”

“Where did you learn that song, anyway?”

Griffon glanced at you, a strange glint of mischief in his yellow eyes. “Ye really wanna know, huh, sweet pea?” He asked in a low and mysterious kind of tone that made you sweat nervously.

“Yes.” You managed to say, turning away from the demonic bird and focusing on your way instead.

You have just escaped Nero and made your way to the opposite side of the Dreadnought. You were so sure that you were getting close to your goal because the voice that was calling you for the past few hours was actually getting louder. But, somehow, you felt like it wasn’t a good sign, at all. You chose not to mention it to Griffon and, instead, made him sing that one song again.

The bird cleared his throat and spoke in a narrative kind of way. “You see, in one of our travels to America, there was this old lady who kept blasting that song near our tent in endless loops. The next day, V developed an incurable LSS of Carole King. And he passed it on to me.”

You gulped, feeling the blood leave your face. The mere mention of the poet’s name sent you back to your tensed state that you suddenly felt stressed and depressed all over again.

And yet, hearing that he could easily be affected by Last Song Syndrome just like any other normal person,…

… your heart simply ached just thinking about it.

“I shouldn’t have asked that.” You regretfully answered.

“WELL, YA FUCKIN’ ASKED FOR IT!”

All of a sudden, you felt a strange movement on the ground beneath your feet. At first, it was only some kind of a light tremor but, seconds later, it gradually became something that was similar to an earthquake.

You struggled to stay on your feet, waiting for the violent tremors to subside when you heard a cracking noise.

It happened too fast: the ground cracking and splitting, showing the ground beneath the Dreadnought, itself, and letting the strong wind enter the demonic mechanism.

And in utter horror, you saw, and realized, that ShiShi had actually took off, bringing you thousands of miles off the ground, away from the city and from the rest of the commissioned Devil Hunters who were still fighting the massive horde below.