XXXIV

“One of these days, and it won’t be long,You’ll call my name and I’ll be gone,Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

You’ll call my name and I’ll be gone,
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well."

Those were the words that you wrote for him on that tear - stained note, which you left in your bed three months ago. And he has kept that fragile piece of note since then. He remembered each painful word, each awkward curve of the letters, and each trembling line in that poem.

He has kept it close to his heart since then.

And now, he's standing before you, repentant, sorrowful, and full of guilt and regret.

And he would make this right. He would fix everything. Right his wrong.

" ... and so,... thee came,..." He uttered, his eyes fixed on yours and yours alone. And as his eyes wandered on your form, he couldn't help but feel even more guilty and hurt. You looked,... terrible. Pale, hollow cheeks void of life, tired, bloodshot eyes that were almost dry due to endless bouts of tears, streaks of silver - gray among thinning strands of (H/C) hair,...

... and the noticeable, little cracks on your skin, especially on your face...

It was clear to V that you were suffering with the same thing he went through before, of him wasting away and disintegrating.

Those faint glimpses Cassandra had of you the moment he stepped foot in the island,...

At first, he was mystified as to the lack of the entity's vision of you, hence, his difficulty in searching for you all those months ago. But, now, as he let his gaze wander on your form, he finally understood.

You were dying.

And it was all his fault. Everything.

And as you realized what's probably on his mind upon gazing at you, your breath hitched. You abruptly turned away from him, not wanting him to see what you have become.

Patty sighed, nodded at V whilst giving him a hard look, and stepped away, letting him have his moment with you. How she wanted so much to push this man away, to inflict physical harm upon him, to make him realize what he's done to you.

But, she knew it was too late. And the only thing that was left for him to do was to say goodbye one last time before the inevitable,...

"My Lady,..." V whispered as he reached out a single hand in front of you. You noticed this and drew further back away from him, not wanting him to feel you. And this made his chest twitch in utter pain. "Listen to me, please,..." He tried one last time to reach out to you but, you refused.