Chapter 43

A L E X

"Dylan!" I yelled. "Who is it?" I put the stuff down and ran downstairs.

"You have to go before she see—" I looked at the door to see Damon. I didn't give Damon a chance to turn around before I ran down and pushed him.

"You did this to him!" I yelled pushing him." What the hell is wrong with you!" Push." You're suppose to be his best friend!" Push.

"I know that! It was the only thing I could do to protect him!" He yelled. I walked forward to push him again but I was stopped by Dylan's hand on my arm.

"He's right Alex." He said softly. I yanked my hand out his arm and looked at Damon.

"What the hell is that suppose to mean?" I said trying to control my anger.

"It means if I even hesitated to punch Dylan, Boss would of put a bullet in his head." He said.

"I don't understand what's going on and I need to know right now!" I said frustration.

"It's better if you're not involved." Damon said. "He's right Alex, this is dangerous." Dylan said.

"I'm sorry but I'm pretty involved now! Seeing as though I dragged you out that alleyway!" I said pointing at Dylan then at Damon. "And saved your best friend!" I said finally.  They gave each other a look and Damon nodded.

"Look if I tell you this you're going to be a target. And I don't want that." Damon said softly.

"Let me worry about that and start explaining what's going on." I said.

"I've worked for Boss since I was 16. At first he wouldn't let me work for him because he thought I couldn't do anything But he was wrong. He had no idea just how much I could fight. And after my first match, he was convinced and allowed me to be one of his fighters. Slowly I became one of his best and top paying."He said angrily.

"Why do you say it as if he did something to you. Shouldn't you be glad. I know that kind of stuff is lots of money.?" I said confused. Damon looked out the window conflicted.

"Look Damon don't push it alright. She doesn't need to know everything."Dylan said. I glared at him and he looked away.

"She might as well know." He said solemnly." When I was 12, my mom and I were walking home from the store one night. And at the time the store was pretty far away and we only had one car that my father used. We were walking until my mom decided to take a shortcut through an alley." He said.
"I told .. her . Not ." He said stuttering.

His hand were slightly shaking. I took his hand and dragged him to the couch and sat him down. He stared at his shaking hands for a minute before clenching his jaw.
"Hey Look you don't have to tell me." I said softly.

He turned his head slowly and looked me in my eyes." Yeah I do." He said. His hand started to shake more. I placed my hands into his and traced circles on the back of his hands.

I ignored the feeling that his touch gave me. His hand started to stop shaking. I made eye contact with Damon. And something just clicked. The sound of a throat being cleared snapped us out of our trance. I completely for got that Dylan was there. I let go of Damon's hands and put them in my lap.