Eighteen

Alice's POV

I was sat on the bed inside a cell, staring at my bloody hands. I just made the biggest mistake of my life.

Jackson had no right to do what he did but I certainly had no right to react in the way that I did. Especially in front of Allison...Especially not in the fucking cemetery.

I looked up as I heard the door being unlocked and I saw Emily and Alex stood there.

"Jackson doesn't want to press charges, we're letting you off with a warning." Alex said as she held my things out for me to take.

"Don't come here again." Emily warned. "There's been a lot drama lately and I ain't about this being turned into Coronation Street."

"But you're a copper."

"It's never been this dramatic before."

"Sorry." I apologised as I followed them down the corridor.

When I got to reception, I saw Otis, Ola and Charley. No sign of Maeve. I don't blame her, she probably hates me now.

Otis stood up from his seat and gave me a sad look. He held his arms out and I walked into his hug. "Just take me home."

- - -

I opened the door slowly and saw Maeve was laying on the sofa, Allison carefully laying on top of her.

I closed the door behind me, not taking my eyes off of the two best girls in my life.

I walked them and knelt down, gently stroking Allison's hair.

I looked at Maeve to see she was looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered using my thumb to wipe them away.

"I know." She whispered back. "Put Allison to bed please. We need to talk."

I nodded my head and gently picked the sleeping princess up and walked into her room. I placed her gently in her bed and kissed the top of her head before returning to Maeve.

"I love you." She said once I had closed Allison's bedroom door.

"I love you too." I replied sitting next to her.

"But I can't have that around Allison. I can't have fights like that, violence. I've witnessed enough of that when I was little to last a lifetime. I'm not having Allison go through the same."

"You know that's not me. Everything just got to me. I'm sorry."

"And what if something happens for everything to get to you again but I cause it? Or Allison causes it? Hmm? You gonna beat us half to death too?"

"I can't believe you just said that....I would never hurt you and I would never hurt Allison." My heart broke at what she said. How could she go that far? I was hurt and I was angry and what I said next I would regret for the rest of my life. "I would also never leave you for ten years, no goodbye, no letters, nothing and then return with a kid. I love you but I don't love you enough to say goodbye and work through one stupid mistake. It wasn't even my fucking doing. You should've known me better."

Maeve sat up slowly and weakly. Her mouth opened in shock. "How dare you. I loved you with every inch of my heart and that's why I had to leave because I thought you had betrayed me in the worst way and I couldn't deal with that." Maeve held her hand out as the tears began to fall more freely. "We both fucked up but I can't lose you again, I love you. Allison loves you...Can we please work on our problems? Talk about everything that's on our mind? Our feelings? Our worries? I really want this to work."

"I do too." I sighed as I held her hand gently.

Maeve leaned forward and pecked my lips. "We're gonna be okay. We just need to communicate. Right?"

"Right."

"Mummy?"

I looked over the sofa to see a tired Allison rubbing her eyes.

"Which one?" I laughed.

"You." She yawned. "Are you leaving us again?"

I stood up and walked towards Allison, when I reached her, I picked her up and held her close to me. "Never. I'm never leaving you or your Mummy again. I'm sorry if I scared you earlier."

"You didn't scare me. I was just worried that Jackass would hurt you."

I tried not to laugh but it was too hard.

"Don't laugh, you'll encourage her." Maeve scolded but she was laughing too.

"We're a family forever. Families fight. They hurt eachother but they love eachother too." Allison said, ignoring us laughing. "When you care about someone hurt is part of it too but if you really care about someone you can work through anything."

"How is she your child?" I joked. "How is she only four?"

"Just because I'm four, doesn't mean I can't be smart. Now please, don't leave."

"I promise you, I will not leave."

I know I've made promises that I haven't kept in the past but that's the past. I'm keeping my promises. This is my family now. Maeve is going to be my wife...We need to focus on that. On us. Our wedding. Our future.

Our happy ending.