Chapter 3: Leave Me Alone

Skyler

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Another boring day at school, I'm sitting at a table in the cafeteria waiting for Valerie while she goes for her food, Grandma prepared a sandwich for me, I had to bring it because she insisted so much.

I'm about to eat the sandwich when I feel a pain in my stomach, it hurts a lot, I feel like throwing up, I leave the sandwich on the table and go to the bathroom quickly.

I lock myself in the last cubicle of the bathroom, I can't breathe, my head hurts and I feel dizzy.

You don't need water to feel like you're drowning, do you?

That's what's happening in my head right now.

I started to panic, tremble, drown, my lungs ached, tears came out of my eyes. I hate that feeling, I have to endure it but I'm scared because I know I can't fight forever.

I hear the bathroom door open and I hear my name, it's the voice of a boy, wait, the voice of a boy?

-Skyler? Are you there? - It sounds worried, I think I've heard it before but I don't answer, I start to breathe deeply, my hands are shaking, I need to calm down- Skyler?

-W-Who are you? - I said with a lump in my throat, I feel very bad.

- I'm Dylan, we met on the bus, are you okay?

-I...I-I'm fine- I'm crying again, my heart is beating faster, I'm breathing hard, I can't control myself.

- No, you aren't. Skyler, what's wrong?

-Leave me alone.

- I won't leave knowing that you are like this, please, talk to me. Come on, whatever it is, get it off your chest.

-W-Why are you here?

- I saw you in the cafeteria and it looked like you didn't feel well, so when you ran out I followed you. So, what do you feel?

-I... I feel like I'm going to faint.

-Skyler get out of there, please.

I leave the cubicle looking down, I don't want him to see my face, my lungs heart. I move slowly. I raise my head and look at his worried eyes.
Do you really think he cares about you? Who cares about you? Idiot.

I feel a pain in my head so hard that I try to hold on but I start to lose my balance, the last thing I see is Dylan approaching me quickly. My eyesight starts to get blurred and then...

-Skyler!

Everything went black.

---------------------------

I open my eyes and locate the place where I am immediately: the infirmary.

-Long time no see, Skyler - says Elle the nurse.

-What happened to me?

-When was the last time you ate?

-I don't know.

-Your body is weak, you fainted for lack of food, and you have to eat and eat well.

-I...

At that moment Dylan enters the infirmary and approaches me, his eyes show concern.

-I'm glad you woke up, I was worried about you.

- Why do you worry? you don't know me - I said it looking into his eyes, those dark eyes that look at me trying to help me, trying to know something about me. And that's a mistake.

- Please, Skyler.

-Why do you want to help me?

-Give me the opportunity to meet you, I feel that you need someone with whom you can talk about your problems or your concerns, who can support you and be there for you when you need it. I want to do it.

No one really cares until something dramatic happens, he doesn't want to help you, don't believe him.

Should I let someone know my fears, weaknesses, everything I've been through these last 3 years?

-Promise me that if someday I ask you to stay away from me, you will.

-What? I can't, I don't want that.

-Well, if you don't accept, you lose the opportunity Dylan.

He doesn't like the idea, but if he wants to know me he will have to accept that condition because it's the first time that I will allow someone to enter my miserable life.

Dylan sighs and finally says

-I promise.

You'll regret about this.

------------------------------------------------