Chapter 14: Are you an Angel?

Dylan

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

After a week, Skyler returns home. I talk to her every day to make sure she is well and that she takes her medicines. We spent the new year in the hospital, tried to make her feel good and smile without having to pretend.

Since she left the hospital, her grandmother literally kept watch over her 24 hours a day, when the doctor had told Odille that what Skyler did was attempted suicide, she blamed herself saying that she knew that she hurt herself and did nothing.

I am trying to convince Skyler to go to a psychologist because even though she is improving now, she may be pretending so we don't to worry so much. And I don't want to see her in a situation like this again.

Incoming Call

Skyler

Accept          Decline

-Hey! Did something happen? –I ask.

- Nothing happened, do you think we can see each other in the park?

-Now?

-Yes, it's important - her voice is weak.

-Ok, I'll be there in a few minutes - she doesn't answer and hangs up the call.

I don't know why, but that Skyler call concerns me a little.

I go to the bathroom to take a shower when I finish, I brush my teeth and put on a dark blue shirt with black pants and tennis shoes of the same color. I leave my bedroom and I find dad in the living room.

-Dylan. How is Skyler?

-She's better, she's still recovering. I will join her now.

-Did you tell her about the psychologist?

-Yes, she doesn't agree. But I will try to convince her.

-Odille wants to put her in a psychiatric hospital.

-What? Why?

-She's afraid that Skyler will commit another suicide attempt again. The doctor recommended it, remember?

-Yes ... but she is better now, she hasn't hurt herself.

-Are you sure about that? Have you confirmed it?

-No...

-She may be hiding something; she won't stop hurting herself so fast.

-Do you not trust that she can stop doing it?

-Dylan, she needs help from a specialist, she isn't well.

-I trust her, now I'll go Skyler is waiting for me.

I leave the house and go to the park walking isn't far. When I get there, I see Skyler sitting on one of the benches, to my surprise she doesn't wear a shirt with long sleeves.

-Hey, how do you feel?

-I think good.

-You think?

-Don't talk about that, I called you for something else.

-Tell me

-It's about Sam, I want to visit him. But my grandmother doesn't want to.

-Why? you deserve to see him.

-She thinks he can hurt me. She says he can't control himself so I want you to help me.

Sam is schizophrenic, he isn't dangerous but we don't know what he is capable of if he loses control.

-Do you know what psychiatric hospital he is in?

-Yeah, my grandfather told me. You can carry me?

-Do you want to go now?

-Please.

-Okay.

At that time a boy of about 12 or 13 years old approaches us and stares at looking at Skyler's wrists.

-Are you an angel? –says the boy.

-What? – She's confused.

-My mom told me that those who have marked wrists are angels.

-I'm not an angel.

-Of course you are. Mom said that only angels harm themselves because they don't like life on earth. This world is destroying them so they try to return to haven again. They are too sensitive to the pain of others and their own.

-You know; your mom is very wise.

-Thank you. She's also an angel but she has already returned home.

After saying that, he leaves. Skyler and I are left thinking about what he said.

-Let's go, Skyler? -I say seeing her thinking

-Sorry... let's go.

We go to my house to look for the car when we arrive, we get in the car and Skyler gives me the address of the psychiatric hospital.

Along the way I notice her nervous, her hands are trembling and her gaze is only on the road.

-Skyler, breathe deeply - I say and she breathes - inhale and exhale and breathe deep again -we get to the psychiatric and I park near the entrance. Seeing that she's still shaking, I take her hand and reassure her –Are you ready?

-Yes...

We entered the psychiatric hospital and accompanied Skyler at the reception. On the wall there is a sign that says:

Visiting hours Psychiatric Hospital

From Monday to Friday from 3: PM to 8: PM

One visit per patient, must be older than 15 years.

The entry of electronic devices, food or any sharp utensil are not allowed.

-How can I help you? asks the receptionist.

-We want to visit a patient –she says.

-First time here?

-Yes.

- Tell me your names and surnames.

-Skyler Anderson and Dylan Steinfield.

-Name of patient -she says while looking for information on her computer.

-Sam Anderson.

-You are his sister?

-Yes, Can I see him? –Skyler says

-I'll call you in a moment and the boy - she says looking at me -Can't get through.

-I won't leave her alone –I say trying to insist.

-Only one person can pass, it says on the sign in case you haven't read it and also you are not a relative -the receptionist says in a strict way and it bothers me a little. While I wait for them to call Skyler, we sit in the waiting room.

-I wanted to accompany you.

-You heard the receptionist, they won't let you pass.

-But...

-But nothing, I'll be fine, ok?

I trust her, but I would have liked to accompany her.