Chapter 15: Lost and Broken

Skyler

-Skyler Anderson -The receptionist interrupts us -Here's your visitor's card, follow Chloe - a middle-aged woman smiles at me - she'll take you to Sam's room.

I put the card and follow Chloe, while we walk through the corridors, I realize the security that is on all sides. Chloe stops at a door and puts a code and passes a card to open the door.

-You can only see him behind the glass, Sam has been having problems with his behavior, he has become very aggressive.

-Is that normal?

- Yes, schizophrenics are usually compulsive and paranoid. Don't be scared if he starts screaming or get confused by his mood swings. Are you ready?

-Yes –I'm nervous.

We entered the room and there is a wall covered with a metal panel, I suppose that behind that should be the glass.

Chloe enters codes in a device next to the panel. The panel is rising and I can see a room completely blank and padded.

  And then I see him.

Sam is on his back sitting on a bed the same color as the padded walls.

-Sam -Chloe speaks for a microphone that is on the panel -You have a visit.

He turns around and when his green eyes look at me for the first time in a long time, I feel a hole in my heart to see him like that. He has changed a lot in his physique, he is thinner, he has dark circles under his dull eyes. He looks lost and broken.

-Who are you? -says after a few seconds- WHO ARE YOU? –he says in a scream.

-He doesn't remember me? -I say to Chloe with tears in my eyes.

-Memory loss is part of the symptoms - she activates the microphone - It's your sister, Sam.

-Sister? I don't have a sister -Chloe makes me sign to speak but the words don't come out. Even so, I try.

-Sam ... I'm Skyler -Tears come out of my eyes -I've missed you, Sammy -when I say Sammy, he gets up from the bed and approaches the panel.

-Sammy? Only mom called me like that - now it's in front of me only the glass separates us, her eyes watching me trying to remember -Skyler? It's really you? Are you real?

-Y-Yes, it's me. It's real, I'm here.

-How is mom? Did she get better? - A knot forms in my throat, Sam doesn't know that she died? -Skyler? she is better, right?

I turn off the microphone and say to Chloe -Didn't you say that Mom died? he just lost his memory, right?

-None family member has come to visit him since a year ago, nobody hasn't told anything about his mother.

-SKYLER! -Sam hits the glass and I'm scared by the impact -Where is Mom? WHERE IS MOM?

-Sam... mom died two weeks ago –after saying that, he doesn't say anything and I see how he closes his hands in fists, he turns away from the panel and starts turning the room around -Sam ...

-SHUT UP! I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOU -he is hitting the walls but because they are covered, they do not hurt him. Sam puts his hands on his head, he's desperate -NO, PLEASE STOP THEM, MAKE THEM STOP, PLEASE –Tears begin to come out through his eyes, through his empty eyes.

-He's having voices in his head –says Chloe.

- It's your fault -he says, pointing at me -IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU KILLED MOM.