Chapter 12: She's Giving Up

Dylan

After telling Skyler to wait for me in the bedroom, I go to the kitchen to look for a glass of water.

-Dylan, what's wrong with Skyler? -Mom says when she sees me entering the kitchen.

-She's weak, she hasn't been eating enough. It worries me, mom.

-We should take her to the hospital, she could have some disease.

-She is complicated; she will only go if she decides to do it. We can't force it.

-I understand; I hope she gets better.

-Thanks -I take the glass with water and go to my room. I just go in, and it hurts to see her like that.

Skyler is sitting on the floor with her hands on her face and breathing hard. I put the glass on the desk and kneel in front of her.

-Skyler, look at me - she doesn't raise her head - Please, look at me

She removes her hands from her face and I see her tears sliding down her red cheeks. She looks me in the eyes, I can only see fear and sadness in them, she is asking me for help, even if she doesn't say it with her mouth, her gaze says it all.

- Will you tell me why are you like this?

-N-not know.

-It's okay but please, if you have a problem, tell me and we look for a solution together. I'll not leave you alone.

She dries her tears, and when she does, I watch her wrists. Her sleeves went down a little, so I saw her scars. I was afraid that she would one day do that; I don't like it at all. I notice that there was a new cut, the blood still did not calm down completely.

-Skyler... - She looks at me and then looks at where I'm looking and doesn't say anything. I get up and take a first aid kit and I sit in front of her.

Skyler looks at my movements. I take out something to dry the blood and heal her wound. The scar was going to stay, I know. But I couldn't bear to see this in her. –Can I?

She hesitates a few seconds, in those seconds she stays watching me and extends her arm.

I grab it and feel a tingling all over my body, dry the little blood that was left. I put a bandage on the cut and she goes back to hiding her arm with the sleeves, her scars.

-Why didn't you tell me? - I whispered.

-Because...- she replied- I didn't know how to tell you.

-When did you start doing this?

-At thirteen.

-Why?

-Because since my dad died my life turned into trash -The tears fall down his face- Then the supposed death of my brother and the illness of my mother that ended his life, I wish I would have gone with them, so I would not have to endure all this.

-What do you mean by the supposed death of your brother?

-Sam is alive, they lied to me about his accident -Why would they hide that from her?

-Why?

-I don't know, but I know that he is now in a psychiatric hospital.

I admit that this has surprised me. What else would they have hidden from her? I think there are more.

Suddenly Skyler gets up quickly and runs to the bathroom. I do the same and follow her. She locks herself in the bathroom.

-Skyler

-Just give me a moment, I need to calm down.

-Okay... - I'm not very convinced, but I give her time.

-Dylan? -Mom sees me with concern –What's gotten into Skyler?

I walk away from the bathroom door and go to the living room to talk to my mother.

-She hurts herself, mom -it hurts me to know that she does it -She ... is very broken.

-I've noticed and I know you want to help her, but don't feel guilty if she decides to leave.

I don't want to imagine my life without her.

-I can save her; I know I can. I've been trying to help her day in and day out.

-Dylan...

-I'll do all I can to see her smile and feel good about herself. I will do it.

-If you want to try, well do it, but I don't want you to be affected by any of this. Help her but don't let her hurt you.

-I know.

I finish the conversation and go to my room to see if Skyler is fine.

When I don't see her in the room, I go to the bathroom quickly, I call again and again, but she doesn't answer. I only hear the sound of water. I knock down the door and find Skyler unconscious on the floor with blood on her wrists and pieces of glass around her stained with blood.

-Skyler! -I grab her in my arms and I call her but she doesn't answer. Desperation grows in me. Her skin is cold and pale. –Please...

Please, stay with me