Chapter 9: You're Safe

Skyler

Sunday, December 23, 2018

The sunlight is strong and it crosses my window. My eyes burn, and my face hurts, it takes me a few seconds to remember everything that happened last night.

Dylan...

I take my cell phone and check if I have a message. I have one from Valerie.

Valerie

Yesterday

Hey! Do you want to come to my house today? Mom asks for you! 6:30PM

Today

I'm sorry, I wasn't in my house. Maybe another day 9:42AM✔✔

Don't worry, it's ok :) 9:45AM

My grandma opens the door and enters to the bedroom quickly.

-Where you were yesterday?

- I needed to take a breath and think about some things.

-What happened to your lip?

-I fell down, it doesn't matter

-Ok...- she says not very convinced- Thank God; I was worried because you didn't come back.

-Yes...

-There is a boy looking for you in the entrance, who is he?

Dylan is here, I don't know why I'm excited.

-A friend, let him in.

While my grandmother leaves the room, I look in the mirror. My face looks horrible; the whole right side is bloated. The corner of my mouth has a small cut. I didn't have a clue that man hit me so hard. While I inspect my face, I notice marks on my wrists and arms, I suppose that so much they pulled me from one side to another those men and also I have my scars.

A chill invades me as I remember what happened.

I decide to put on a coat to cover my scars. Someone knocks on the door; it must be Dylan.

-You can pass.

-Hey! I brought you breakfast. How you feel?

-I feel better and thank you.

-You don't have to thank me; come to eat- he points to a space next to him in my bed.

I start eating the sandwich, well, I devour the sandwich, I hadn't eaten in two days.

-You were very hungry- he says looking at me devouring breakfast- Dylan sighed - What happened last night, Skyler?

I look up and find his dark brown eyes staring at me for answers, and I feel like I can tell him everything.

-I discussed with my grandmother, it was after I spoke to you by chat, then, I needed to take a breath, so I left ...

-Where did you go?

-First I went to the park, then to the cemetery I wanted to visit my parents and I stayed there for several hours.

He keeps analyzing what I said and he gives me a signal to continue telling him.

-It was late and I decided to take the shortest route- Dylan gives me a disapproving look- What? I felt bad, I just wanted to get home quickly.

-You are a girl, walking alone at night. The shortest and darkest paths are not something you should consider.

- Now I know - I take a break - well, I was walking, and I saw a man several meters away from me, he started to approach me quickly and I didn't have time to escape -I squeeze my hands in my lap.

Don't cry

Dylan puts his hand on mine.

-You're safe now.

-He pounced on me and he held my hands, leaving me motionless.

- Did he do something to you? - Dylan's eyes have a flash of anger that surprises me, to say the least - Did he touch you?

-He...

-Skyler, what did he do to you?

-He scratched me with a knife on my arm and shoulder -I take off my coat so he can see my scars.

–If I had been there, I would have made him pay for what he did to you but It's over, you'll be fine -and he gives me a sincere smile.

-Thank you, you didn't have to do all this.

-I promised to be there for you when you need me, or if you want to talk about something that worries you. Remember? I can help you.

- You will never understand the hell I feel inside my head.

-I don't know you, but I want you to give me the opportunity to do it, not only to talk about your problems, but also to make you feel good, to know that you will have a friend who will support you and who will make you spend moments you will remember, not everything It has to be sadness, Skyler, you can also look at the good side of things.

-I've been sad for years. Don't tell me it gets better. Do you know what it feels like to just want to give up? When you just want all the pain to end but you want it to continue?

-What do you mean by giving up? What are you thinking about?

-Forget it.

-I won't forget; I don't want anything to happen to you.

Too late, Dylan

-I don't want to keep talking about this, you can go.

-Are you sure you're okay? Do you want me to leave?

Stay

-Yes really. You can go now.

-Okay, but you know that, if you want to talk, here I am. We talk tomorrow, Skyler.

I don't say anything and I see Dylan walking towards the door and before leaving he turns around and says:

-You're bad lying, I hope you get better.

We try to hide our feelings, but we forget that out eyes speak.