Imagine for Haylee, Part 1

Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad?

There you go, midnight promises again

But they’re broken by the dawn

You wanna go further, faster everyday baby

But in the morning you’ll be gone

And I’m alone

“Where are you going?”

I froze. Caught, shoes in hand. I was sneaking out again, not unlike I did any other time. Unfortunately this time I had awakened him.

“I’ve got to be at work in thirty minutes.” Lie. I wasn’t scheduled to come in today.

I heard him sigh. I knew that he knew I was lying. And I could tell by the way his feet thudded onto the hardwood floor that he knew I knew he knew.

“You don’t always have to run away, you know.” His voice was tired, like he was growing bored of the same conversation we had every time after.

I turned back around. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, the lower half of his body still entangled in the silk sheets. His blonde hair was noticeably mussed, his cheeks rosy and flushed. Deep purple marks lined his collarbone, trailing upwards toward his neck. I was sure I probably looked the same.

“I’m not running away.”  I said defensively.

Yes I was. But what else could I do? We were both new to this…arrangement. I wasn’t quite sure what would be a better alternative. Hanging around afterwards was just awkward; we weren’t together. There was no reason to stay.

I flashed him an apologetic smile. “I really did tell Rydel I would meet her for lunch though. And it’s already almost noon.”

He snapped his head over to where the alarm clock sat perched on top of his nightstand.

“Dang.” A mischevious smirk immediately crept across his face. “You’ve gotta stop keeping me up so late.”

I could feel a smirk coming on myself. He could never stay upset for long.

“Me? You wouldn’t go to sleep.” I reminded him, slowly edging my way out of the room.

He shrugged. “Whatever you say. Are you coming by tonight?”

I paused in the doorway, just long enough to throw him a knowing look.

“Don’t I always? I’ll see you tonight.” And with that, I was gone.