Chapter 23

“So, tell me why you need a fake boyfriend.”

Jace was very straightforward about the whole thing.  He didn’t even seem awkward about it.  If anything, he was amused.

“Do you want the short version or the long?” I asked.

He shrugged.  “Whichever. I have time.”

I took a deep breath.  I had to be careful about how I worded this.  I couldn’t risk dropping any hints that I had been with Mr. Donnals – not even subconscious ones.  I thought about what I was going to say, and then I spoke up.

“Well… You remember Chason, right?”

“Your brother Chase? Of course I do. He’s cool,” Jace said, sipping his latte.  I would’ve laughed, but then I remembered he left in fifth grade, when Chason was still decent.

“Not anymore. When he hit high-school, he turned into a class one douchebag. Still is.”

Jace nodded.  “Note taken.”

“Anyway, he sort of walked in on… on my boyfriend and I making out… but all he saw was that the guy had brown hair, and I really don’t want to expose him to my parents yet.”

“Wait, so you do have a boyfriend?”

Blushing, I nodded.

“Who is he?”

“No one you’d know. He’s a college student here in town. He’s twenty.”

Jace chuckled.  “I figured you’d go for older guys, what with you being so mature and all.”

I didn’t know if that was a compliment or an insult, so I just carried on.  “We’ve only just started dating a few weeks ago, and I know my dad won’t approve, so I don’t want to introduce him… but you’re roughly the same height, and you have a similar hair color. I think you could pass for him. Chason only saw him for all of a second anyway.”

“Okay, cool. So what do you want me to do? Take you out on fake dates? Talk to your mom and say we’re dating?”

“Actually, my mom was hoping you and your family would come over for dinner on Christmas Eve. So if you could tell them that we’re dating, too, that would be great.”

I paused.  “Well, tell your mom at least. Tori knows about my boyfriend, so don’t tell her. Like I said, I’ll talk to her separately and explain the situation.”

“I can do that. I’ll ask about dinner, too. But until then… what?”

I shrugged.  “I don’t know… We could go see a movie sometime. I mean, my mom will expect us to hang out some during the holidays.”