xxi.

xxi.

“Alright Cher, I have to go, but if you need anything just call either Harry or I okay? Harry should be back with the boys as soon as they’re done at school,” Louis said as he grabbed his satchel and swung it around his body.

“Okay,” Cher said as she lied under the cover on the couch. She watched as Louis was called into work on the chill November morning, instead of his usual night shift. Cher was shocked, but entertained with the fact of being home alone. For almost four months, she had Louis and Harry hawking over her every move, making sure she did everything properly.

“Now if anything happens with the baby, you just call. If you feel pain or anything like that, you let us know,” Louis said as he slipped on his shoes.

“Just go Louis. I promise I’ll be fine, yeah?” Cher said as she waved goodbye to Louis. Louis nodded and gave his salutations as he exited his home. Cher sighed and stared up at the ceiling. She had a lot of thoughts running through her mind.

She threw the cover off of her and looked down at her protruding bump coming from her stomach. It wasn’t hers, but she felt awfully close to it. Only more month until she could stop calling it that, an ‘it’. The term was just demeaning, but she noticed that Louis and Harry never seemed to say ‘it’.

Instead, they said ‘little bundle of joy’ or other cute little nicknames. They made Cher feel guilty. She killed their first child, but she wouldn’t own up to it. She kept taking in the white powder, finding needles in her bag, but now, well, she was running low.

Earlier in the pregnancy, Cher had been experiencing withdrawals and that was why she was so sick. At first she was nervous that she had killed the baby, but when they went to the doctor’s, the baby was healthy and had a heartbeat and all.

Cher sighed and rubbed her forehead. She only had to stay clean for six more months. But those six months in her head seemed like years. She was craving something now. Cher just couldn’t bring herself to move though. She had too much to think about.

She wanted the drugs, but the harm she could do to the baby was enormous; and an even more important fact: this wasn’t her baby. She was just a deliverer for a family that wanted a child. She couldn’t take that from them.

Cher was about to just stay seated, try to sleep again probably, until she heard a ringing noise from her bag. It wasn’t like she had many friends, but rather, her little cheap phone kept her in contact of the people she wanted, or rather needed, to be in contact with.

She got up and rummaged through her bag quickly, pulling out the small device to see the name of a demon from her past. She swallowed down a bit of fear and just sat down on the floor. She watched the name vanish on the face of the phone as it went to voicemail, and Cher felt a bit of relief wash over her.

She knew many people from the past, but one that had always been with her was someone special. At least, she thought he was. She thought he was perfect; her knight in shining armor. It turned out he was the reason she got hooked on the drugs in the first place.

He introduced her to the world of illegal substances and Cher thought she was happy; doing the things he wanted her to do, but it turned out, he wasn’t. if anything, he was more problematic the deeper she got into the lifestyle. She had ranged from having the occasional joint with her friends to doing lines every night in some dingy basement.

Cher thought back at the downward spiral of her life, glad she had finally ran away from it; well at least the people, or so she thought. The phone rang again, snapping Cher out of her haze and she focused on the name one last time before answering.