Chapter 8: Healing Old Wounds

I walked back to the bus stop and waited for the bus to get there. What a day. I might possibly come back here but glad this visit didn't have me running into..... "Hey, Derek!" Yelled someone. Why now? I looked behind me to see the gems racing at me. Peridot tackled me into a hug. "Owww," I said. "Oops sorry." She said. Lapis flew by and spun me around in a tight embrace, almost dropping me while doing so. I was so dizzy. "Hi guys," I said. It was strange but I oddly was happy to see them.

 "Hey Derek, how's the arm?" Steven asked. "Ok," I said nervously. "Wait for a second, why are you out so early?" Steven raised an eyebrow. I was internally panicking but simply lied. "I got a released earlier because when they came back with my X-rays, the injuries were less severe than it seemed and had me choose to stay or leave, so I picked to leave," I said. I showed no emotion to be able to see that I was lying. Steven still looked suspicious but accepted it. Pumpkin ran up to me and licked my face. I laughed and looked at the gems in front of me. I seemed to be glad to see such great people.

No.No.NO! I screamed internally. I couldn't get attached. "Hey, are you ok?" Steven asked. "Eh, just my arm I guess," I said. "Look if you want, I was hoping that the doctors there would have helped but I can heal you, I got healing powers," Steven said. I looked at him like he was telling a joke. What can't these gems do? "Sure I guess I have nothing to lose," I said. I knew that was just an expression but I really felt like there was nothing. Empire City was a place I needed to protect but if I was gone then the city probably wouldn't care. Steven then proceeded to lick his hand and got close to my arm. I jerked. "What are you doing?" I said sort of defensive. "This is just the way my powers work, trust me," Steven said. "Ok." I reluctantly said. 

He then places his hand on my arm. It was a nasty feeling but I soon felt nothing. "Does it take a while or...?" I question Steven. "It may take some time depends but, please, believe me, it will work. Also Derek, can you please trust us. We want to help you and be your friends." Steven said. "Look I appreciate you attempting to heal me but like I said, I have lost ones I cared about before, I can't go through that again," I said in a stern tone. "Well look, Derek, I am a highly intelligent being but when it came to friends or relationships, I was not familiar with those feelings. It scared me but now I know. I have developed friendships and more ever since I met Steven, the Crystal Gems and.... Lapis." Peridot said now looking towards Lapis. 

Giving a smile which led to Lapis hugging Peridot with one small tear running down both of their faces. She then kissed Peridot on the cheek. The green gem was soon a dark green. "Look, Derek, I was trapped in a mirror for a thousand years, alone and forgotten. It wasn't till I met Steven, did I feel again. I wasn't free for long when I came across this gem, Jasper. I felt trapped again and hurt so I did what I could to protect Steven and the other gems. It was hard coming back from that as well. Then Peridot wanted a second chance from what she was in the past and I allowed it. Now Peri is the one thing I care about most in this world." Lapis said. Peridot looked up at Lapis who was smiling and they put their foreheads together. "Let's help you, Derek. We want you to be our friend. Can you give us a chance?" Steven said.

I gave them a glance. I was indifferent. I couldn't seem to want their help but oddly they still felt like friends, maybe even family. Strange, I have only known them for a week and I feel like they are great. Maybe I wouldn't feel alone anymore. "I might consider it," I said. They nodded and I followed them to the temple. As we started walking on the beach, I saw that little house I had seen when I was enjoying the ocean breeze and the water. 

"Hey Derek, what shirt do you got there?" Steven asked. "Oh, it was this black shirt with a star. Actually, it looks a lot like yours, huh." I said, now just realized he had the same one but red and in a different size. "Well try it on." He said. I put it over my head and had to move my arm ever so slightly into the other sleeve. Hopefully that healing kicks in soon. The shirt was on and it was a nice fit. "Look, see, already looking like a Crystal Gem," Steven said with a smile. 

"Wait who are these Crystal Gems?"I asked realizing I didn't know why they were called that. "Well, we are all Crystal gems, even Pumpkin," Peridot added. Pumpkin barked in excitement. I also realized another detail to Lapis and Peridot's outfits, revealing they also had a star like Steven. I never really paid attention. Maybe I could have some teammates helping me with crime. NO! I yelled in my head. No getting attached. You're just here to wait for the healing to kick in and go back to Empire City.

There is some Lapidot for you guys and thx for the reads. I know it doesn't seem like many but 40 reads are great.