Chapter 16: Help Unexpected

Then all of a sudden, "Hey Derek." Said someone from behind me. I jumped and saw Steven. I pulled him by his arm and dragged him to the park across the street. I made sure that we were not seen. "What the heck are you doing here?!" I yelled whispered. "I just needed to talk to you. Please let me help." He asked pleading. "No!" I said louder this time. "Look, I'm your friend whether you want me to be or not. I know you have lost family and friends but I won't go away." He said. I looked down and didn't know what to do.

 This kid wasn't going to leave but I couldn't let him get involved and he gets hurt because of me. "Do the gems know you're here?" I asked. "No." He said nervously. "Just go, Steven. I don't need you here. You would just get in the way." I said sadly. "No, I am trying to help you." He said. "I can't. Even with your powers, it won't stop what power they got. They have gemtech. Some I don't know about." I said concerned. Steven then made his pink shield from thin air. He threw it in the air. "Look that's nice but still..." I was cut off when you made a huge pink bubble that I was now in. I looked around the pink orb.

Look I know I couldn't let him get involved but what he could do, maybe he will be able to help. NO! NO! I said in my head. I put my palm over my forehead. He wasn't going to let this go. I looked at him. He seemed to have pleading eyes. "Uhhh, I can't believe I'm saying this but you can help me," I said. "Thank you." He said. I kneeled down to his level. "Look, I need you to be safe, I'm not going to be the one to tell the gems that you're not around. If it gets too crazy you leave. I am only letting you help because you have useful powers and you won't leave." I said. "Ok," Steven said. "And also, call me Protector, not Derek," I said. He nodded.

After that conversation, we headed to the back of the restaurant. The sign now read "closed." We looked around the corner. "Steven please, be stealth," I said. He nodded. I walked around and saw the back entrance. Steven the leaped high almost floating and got on the fire escape. "What are you doing?!" I whisper yelled. He pointed his fingers at his eyes and pointed down. He must either be going to sneak attack, he wants me to watch and do nothing, I don't know. I watched for anyone coming or going.

I watched from behind the garbage cans. The door had light coming from underneath it. Then I heard talking. It was coming from the opposite side of the alleyway. "Hey Jerry, you think Nightshadow will mad because those other two had gotten arrested and lost some tech." Said one of the goons. "Look, Ron, if she is then we just need to make sure not to upset her." Said the other. I heard this and knew they were talking about what went down in Beach City.

The two went through the door and walking in. Steven had created a shield and threw it at the door that was almost completely closed before. I walked up to the door and saw Steven float down from the fire escape. I slid the door open slightly. I halted and saw the kitchen. "Steven, I don't know about this," I said. "Calm on Protector. I'm doing this so you can see that I can take care of myself. Let's do this." He said. "Look.." I said as I took out a beanie from my backpack(Yes I had one on the whole time). I took out my pocket kn*fe and cut the holes. "Here you go, got to seal your identity so they don't find your friends or family," I said. He took the mask and put over his head.

"Now you're a hero in disguise," I said.