Chapter 11: The Reason for Being a Hero

The picture above is not my own, I got it from a google search of "hero on a rooftop" so I didn't design or draw that what so ever, just thought it fit the chapter.

I walked down back to the boardwalk. I saw the ocean. Even during this stressful time, the ocean made me feel good. I went up to the steps to the temple. I didn't see anyone right away through the screen door. I pulled the handle to open it but soon was greeted by none other than pumpkin. Ruff! Pumpkin yelped. I smiled. I use to have a dog before but then I didn't. Nature has a way of taking what you love. I then saw the warp pad activate. I see Steven, Lapis, and Garnet walk from it. "Oh hey Derek, how was your walk?" He asked. 

I then got a strange look from him when he saw me wearing my mask. "What happened?" Asked Lapis. Garnet stood silent. I still couldn't get out what I was going to say. "Steven, what is this?" I said while holding up the taser weapon. "Where did you get that?" Garnet asked. "No! Tell me what this is and why there are gems having gang wars in Empire City." I demanded furiously. They stood silent. "Well, I'm waiting!" I yelled. Garnet had a face of worry. Steven was scared and Lapis was beyond fearful. 

"That's a gem stabilizer. Those are used to take us from our physical forms and turning us back into just gemstones." Said Garnet. "I came across this when going to see the city from the cliff. Some people working for Nightshadow were getting these sort of weapons from some guy named Kevin." I said. "Kevin?!" Steven yelled angrily.

 "Why did I have to find out from criminals that not just that there is the tech that can hurt you but that a crime boss wants them so that they can have a chance against a gang of bad gems?" I said. "We didn't know about the other gems," Steven said. "What other weapons did they have?" Garnet asked. "These and a cannon," I said. "Look, Derek, we can help you-" Lapis said before getting cut off by me. "NO! I wasn't told the truth. I thought we were becoming friends but then you didn't tell me the potential danger you guys could have been in or other gems taking part in terrorizing my city." I said. They again were silent.

"I'm leaving. Don't follow me. Don't tell me you are my friends. If you were, you would have told me that I could lose you." I said with tears rolling down my face. "Look Derek sorry, we didn't know." Said, Steven. "It doesn't matter now. I know it's crazy to think that it's only been a week knowing you all and I already care for you guys. Now I know that I could already lose you guys. I want to keep all of you safe. Protecting my city will help in doing that." I said. "Please don't run from us or this." Steven pleaded. "Maybe I should tell you before I go. I am the reason for my family's loss and my friends leaving and some of them dying. I lived a life in Empire City. I had parents that I cared for, even though they didn't show it, they had their own way of saying they loved me. Yes, we wouldn't always get along. We would fight and yell. I became a hero because I wanted to protect them despite that. 

I wanted to protect the city from corruption and crime. From this, I decided to start small. Community service, helping the homeless and so on. I wanted to do more. One day I saw a guy trying to mug someone. I stepped up and told him to back off. At the time, I didn't have the training and experience I had now. I got beat up and had to go to the hospital but I gave the guy time to run from the mugger. I did something, even if it felt like nothing. After that, I wanted to get better. I took boxing, karate, and kung fu lessons. I started going out more. I wore a costume and put criminals behind bars. My parents didn't take kindly to me being out late and getting back beat up. It got to the point to where I left. I left them. It was my fault. They soon got killed by a common criminal in the street. I lost them. The crook wasn't caught but I found him and did what I thought was right. Right for me. Right for the city. I sent him to his grave.

 My hero stick didn't sit well with my friends either. I didn't hangout as much with them anymore. After my parent's death, I kept my distance. Though there was still some of them that wanted to stay and I reluctantly let them stay by my side. I soon had my identity slip to a crime boss along time ago. Those friends died as well. I found the boss and the ones who killed them directly. I did what I did to my parent's killer, they died by my hands. All this and it all happened 5 years ago. Five. Still can't believe it." I said this all and cried many tears. 

"Derek please let us-" I cut off Steven. "Derek I know how you-" I cut Lapis off too. " I don't care if you can help. I don't care if you've had similar experiences. Nothing compares to what I did and what happened to my loved ones. Even what happened to you Lapis, I'm sorry." I said that and left the temple. I ran looking to protect them. Hoping to find this Kevin kid. Hopefully stopping this gang war with Nightshadow and those bad gems. I will protect Empire City and the ones I care about.