iv

Chapter Four – This Is Our Choice 

"I feel there is nothing more artistic than loving people." – Vincent Van Gogh

Licht stared hard, still not believing what her eyes were seeing

Licht stared hard, still not believing what her eyes were seeing. It was really him. Wolfe. Her childhood friend. Emotions that were once bubbling inside her were now moving to a swift boil.

"Wolfe." She confirmed his question.

Wolfe looked like his heart was about to explode. His face twisted, almost as if he was in pain. His brows were furrowed heavily, pulling his lips tight. 

"You're alive..." He spoke as he examined her with a guarded look. It looked like he doubted the fact that she was really there. 

Nonetheless, she kept her mouth shut. She was unsure if he would harm her or not. He could have sided with the Queen. Her heart became heavy in her chest at that thought.

Her eyes never strayed from his, and he did the same. He quickly noticed that her mouth was trembling, her cheeks covered in tears with red, puffy eyes. Her breathing was heavy due to running as well.

"What happened to you?" He asked softly. His breathing had calmed down but he was still visibly tense. 

She opened her mouth, only to close it, but then she opened it again, trying her best to speak. Finally, she shut it and cried.

"Please tell me you're not with her..." she trailed off, sobbing silently.

His hand twitched. "Who? The Queen?"

She nodded.

"I'm not. I will never be after what has happened," he told her firmly.

She blinked, her heart beating rapidly. "Truly? You're not going to kill me?"

Completely gobsmacked by her words, he shook his head. "Why would I ki... what happened to you, princess?" Wolfe looked deep into her eyes as if trying to find the answer within them.

The more she blinked, the more tears fell. "S–She killed hi–him."

She could barely say it. It hurt so much to think about it. To admit it out loud. 

"Were you running from Queen Abarrane?" Wolfe asked after a long moment of silence. 

She wiped some of her tears away. "Yes... and D-Deacon."

Wolfe's face twisted with her words. His tattooed fists clenched, a flash of rage clouded his eyes for a moment before she spoke again.

"He wants me dead, Wolfe. Deacon wants me dead," she said brokenly.

Wolfe helped her stand. "I know Princess, but we must go, now. Soon enough the entire castle will be on the hunt for you. You witnessed something you weren't supposed to see and now Queen Abarrane see's you as a threat. We must escape."