ix

Chapter Nine - Always and Forever

"There are people who take the heart out of you, and there are people who put it back." – Elizabeth David

Licht closed her eyes and took in a deep breath

Licht closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. It seemed like this was the hundredth time she had attempted this. Not only was she getting bored of it, but frustrated. Why was it so hard to find other auras? It seemed so easy when Elder Szilveszter explained it.

She waited in silence for a few moments, trying her best to follow the elder's directions. And just like all the other attempts, nothing happened. In response, Licht let out a small annoyed groan and opened her silver eyes. 

"It's okay Licht," Ingrid said softly. "We don't expect you to get it today."

Licht had received similar words from Ingrid ever since they left Elder Szilveszter's home. It seemed like it was forever ago when she had first met the elder. She wished she had time to ask him more questions. 

The elder knew many things. Many interesting things that Licht would have loved to learn as she was intrigued by magic her entire life. He also knew about fae, his owl was one. She remembered the vibrant colors it's feathers held.

"I don't want us walking aimlessly," Licht said with a clenched jaw. "Time isn't on our side."

Licht ignored Ingrid's look and sigh. How could she stop trying? Her poor sister was with such a vile man in a vicious country. She needed to do this for Silje and the people of Ericon. She had done nothing when it came to Iveta and her father but now she could at least try.

With that, she tried again. This time, she recalled the elder's exact words.

Simply concentrate all of your focus and energy into their energy. The moment you feel something different is the moment you located one of them.

Licht blew out from her mouth, relaxing her body. She was slightly confused as to how she was supposed to use her energy into locating the warriors. What if she didn't even know how to locate her own energy? How was she supposed to do this? Once again, hope flew into the dust.

Her heart thumped sadly and she accepted defeat with a frown and a long sigh.

"Hey princess, come here," Wolfe called.

She walked over to him with drooping shoulders and a disappointed look on her face.

"Yes?"

"You remember, it was about five years ago when you and I sneaked into the kitchen and put lobelia into Lord Markel's food?" Wolfe said, a smirk growing on his face.

Licht did remember. She and Wolfe were laughing for days after that prank. Lord Markel was a very uptight man. Always stiff and serious, he didn't seem like he ever enjoyed life. And he was always around Licht trying to get her to notice him. A real nuisance was what he was.