xviii

Chapter Eighteen – The Slave Encampment

"Your life is influenced by the energy you bring to every moment..." – Cheryl Richardson

Alika looked around wearily

Alika looked around wearily. It was slowly setting where he was exactly and what the mission was. He was thrilled to be searching for the warriors, it was his dream since he was a little boy. Listening to Elder Toni and his mother speak of the legends. It made his heart flutter with joy. He was accomplishing his goals left and right. Twenty-two years, he has only thought about meeting his master, his ruler, The Silver King. Now, he has. Well... maybe. She wasn't what he was expecting, but it still felt right.

Pele's footsteps snapped him back to reality. 

That's right. They were in the room Princess Licht had found. It was a very bland room but it held mystery. The creators clearly had no intention of making it look livable. It was simply just a part of their escape route. Either way, he found it intriguing, wondering who exactly made this room and who escaped.

Pele was about to open the door before she turned to face Alika.

"Remember the plan?" Pele asked, about to open the door.

Alika nodded, his body tensing up. His life was never this interesting or exciting before, he was still getting used to it. Of course, they were facing many dangers, but it still was better than staying home and sitting around... for now at least.

Pele slowly opened it, she peeked outside before she nodded to Alika and they exited the room. They entered a long gloomy hallway made of stone. Alika's ears twitched when he heard voices, he reached out for Pele, stopping her. She looked back with furrowed brows. Alika looked ahead, listening to the voices. Two males, chatting about nonsense, the sound was not growing louder or quieter. 

"There must be guards at the end of the hallway," Alika whispered. "That is where we will begin."

Pele smirked, "with those kinds of ears, you must hear a lot of things."

Alika narrowed his eyes at her warningly, Wolfe teased him enough about his long ears. Pele just winked and began walking quietly. He followed behind her, continuing to listen for any new voices. As of now, there were none.

When Princess Licht explained to them what she had found, she had said that it was perfect for entering secretly. The people who decided to use this area to escape chose it for a reason. She guessed that there weren't many guards who passed the hallways around the location. Her assumption was proving to be correct. 

His heart was filled with pride. He still held doubt, as she has not shown any magnificence. Nonetheless, she was brave, kind, and intelligent. 

As they got closer, Alika's body tensed. He glanced at Pele who looked at him when she noticed. They gave each other a nod, reading the look in each other's eyes. They knew what was to come and that the possibility of danger was on its way.