viii

Chapter Eight – A Hero Will Rise

"Trust the magic of new beginnings." – Meister Eckhart

Ingrid had constantly glanced at Licht the moment they woke up

Ingrid had constantly glanced at Licht the moment they woke up. When Licht had returned last night after her walk, she had stopped crying and looked calm. She and Aries crawled into the tent and went to sleep wordlessly.

"We're nearly there," Wolfe announced. 

Ingrid was relieved to be close. Her legs were beyond tired. They weren't used to walking such long distances. Luckily, it didn't take much longer before they were met with a stone house with green roofs. 

Wolfe led the way to the front doors. He grabbed the door handle and knocked it against the wood. The four of them waited silently, listening to the quiet murmur of the forest. It seemed like a lifetime before one of the two doors opened with a creak. Ingrid's gaze met with an elderly man. He was short in height due to a hunched back. He had a bald head but sported a long, white beard that was braided. His skin was dotted with age spots and wrinkles. He held a cane in his left hand and sported robes.

"Good afternoon, Elder Szilveszter, may we come in? We have some questions we'd like to ask," Wolfe spoke politely.

The elder hummed, glancing at the group quickly before opening the door further and allowing them to enter. Elder Szilveszter had made his way to the right unannounced and they all followed silently to a sitting room.

"Sit," the elder spoke, his voice raspy.

Ingrid and Licht sat nearest to the fire, Aries planting himself by Licht's feet.

Elder Szilveszter disappeared through a doorway, making the others wait once again.

No one spoke as they waited. They simply glanced around the tidy room. Ingrid quietly hoped that the elder would provide them with guidance and advice. 

It was a short while before Elder Szilveszter returned. In his hands was a tray. Wolfe stood and gently took it from him. He set it down on the table and poured tea for the others. 

"Thank you, Elder Szilveszter," Ingrid smiled kindly.

The elder dipped his head. "You are foreigners traveling in the north, the gods know how exhausted you must be. This tea will help replenish your strength."

Ingrid gratefully took the warm, steaming tea. Licht thanked Wolfe as she delicately took hold of the glass cup. After Ingrid blew and took a sip of her tea, she looked back over at the elder only to find him staring at Licht. His dark green eyes were narrowed at her.

"Your name, child?" He spoke, taking a step towards her.

She hesitated for a moment, "Licht."

He hummed as he approached her, the sound of his cane hitting the wooden floor echoed. When he reached her, he lifted a hand to her face. She watched him with caution as his hand neared. His thumb touched her cheek, just under her eye.