xix

Chapter Nineteen – Mystery Man

"I've always liked quiet people: You never know if they're dancing in a daydream or if they're carrying the weight of the world." – John Green

Licht felt fear course straight through her, causing her to lose her breath

Licht felt fear course straight through her, causing her to lose her breath. All she could hear were the screams from the slave encampment which was caused by some strange explosion. Oddly enough no one was able to see what caused it.

"Princess, breathe." Wolfe grabbed ahold of her shoulders, gathering her attention. When she looked at him, finding him calm despite his flickering eyes, she herself calmed a little. "Good, you need to relax."

Releasing a deep breath, she nodded. "Forgive me, let us go."

They started running towards the explosion. In Licht's mind, she was praying that the others were safe and on their way out. The past few hours were some strange form of torture. She had just met Pele and Alika but she already cared about them so much that she couldn't even put it into words. It was as if their souls were entwined with the strongest yet smoothest twine. Their souls wrapped around one another, finding the darkness and spreading light.

When they finally reached their destination, they found flames erupting from one of the corners of the wall that surrounded the slave encampment. Licht's eyes widen when she spotted one of the watchtowers completely destroyed. 

The fire was raging, the entire watchtower consumed in the orange heat. Ash fluttered into the sky, slowly descending onto the ground. Part of the stonewall had been blown up, creating a small opening where the watchtower collapsed onto the unsuspecting earth.

"What the hell happened here?" Wolfe asked, just as shocked.

"Look!" Ingrid exclaimed, pointing.

Licht's gaze looked in the direction Ingrid was pointing in and found a man. He was quite tall and had a muscular build. His hair color matched hers with gray eyes and dark skin. His skin was covered in gold markings, much similar to hers in the way they curved around his arms and neck. The strangest thing about him, the thing that surprised Licht the most was the fire flickering from his hands.

Guards from the prison ran out, racing towards the unknown. The man looked in their direction and as they neared, the flickering turned into the full-fledged flames and fire appeared from his feet heading straight towards the guards. The men screamed as a wall of fire appeared before them. 

Ingrid and Licht gasped, barely believing their eyes.

"Who is that?" Ingrid asked.

"There's no time," Wolfe replied. "There they are."

Licht looked over and found her friends running with two others. She breathed a sigh of relief as the ran away from Pyreford's grim walls. 

Alika smiled when they made eye contact, but his attention quickly turned to the blazing fire. He looked at the tower, then at the fire trail. Licht spotted the shock flash in his eyes. When she looked at Pele, she saw a similar reaction.