vi

Chapter Six – Flicker Of Hope

"Sometimes not feeling is the only way you can survive." – May Boatwright, The Secret Life of Bees

" – May Boatwright, The Secret Life of Bees

Licht gazed around the small, warm cabin. It seemed that Estrella lived alone and managed very well. Her home was very welcoming and smelt liked a bakery. 

"So, Wolfe, why are you here? Not that I am upset, you haven't visited me in forever!" Estrella said with wide-eyes while she poured Ingrid a cup of tea.

Wolfe leaned against the wall, "I decided to take a break from work and wanted to come home."

Estrella gave him a confused look. "You are able to do that? I know how strict our queen is."

At the sound of her mother's title, Licht clenched her hands and toes. Aries walked over and plopped down right on her feet. She calmed down almost instantly, petting his head. She was still very confused with who Aries was but felt comfortable with him nonetheless. 

Wolfe shrugged. "Probably not, but we're gonna keep this little adventure a secret."

He winked at her and Estrella smiled with a nod. "Alright then. How long do you plan on staying?"

Wolfe grabbed the tea she handed to him and took a sip. "Not very long, I wanna go further north. Show these two around."

Licht watched his interaction with Estrella very closely. He was always good at lying, very smooth and it was hard to detect his false words. Was it a noble skill? No. Was it helpful? Yes. Especially when it worked. 

Estrella turned to Licht and Ingrid, a smile on her face. "How exciting! The north is such a beautiful land, you two are going to love it."

Ingrid smiled politely back. "Yes, I believe so too. Thank you for letting us stay in your home."

"Of course! Any friends of Wolfe's are friends of mine," she grinned as she pulled out some cheese and crackers. "If you any of you need anything, please ask. Make yourselves at home." 

Ingrid nodded in gratefulness, sipping her tea after eating a little.

Licht played with her fingers, ignoring the others. The pain had subsided and now she felt empty and cold. She didn't know what to do with herself, that's why she was letting Ingrid and Wolfe lead the way. She was just exhausted. Her mind felt heavy in her head, like a chunk of stone. Everything had overwhelmed her so much that she just grew numb as a defense. It almost felt like she was dead.

"May we retire for the night? It has been a very long day of traveling for us two," Ingrid spoke kindly.

Estrella bobbed her head up and down. "Yes, yes! I only have two bedrooms. So if you two don't mind sharing you can sleep in my room, and then Wolfie can have the spare."