Uneeded Trial

Shuichi silently stood at his podium, he was trying his hardest to keep a level head and lead the case, but he failed and began crying again. He couldn't help it, he had already grown so used to hearing snarky remarks from Kokichi by now that his heart ached at the silence.

Shuichi tried to make himself stop, but he just couldn't. Monokuma did his signature laugh, "Oh, someone sure isn't taking the death too we-"

"Shut up Monokuma!" Everyone except for Shuichi said in unison.

Shuichi stopped crying and stood up straight, trying to restore his composure. He wouldn't let Monokuma poke fun at his loss any longer, "R-right. Let's get this Trial underway."

"Its a suicide, isn't it?" Kiibo asked.

"No! Kokichi was killed, why would he be so selfish as to kill himself right when Shuichi got him back?" Tsumugi said.

"Its Kokichi. Of course the little asshole-"

"Maki, please don't call him that." Shuichi interupted Maki's venomous words, "It....it was a suicide.." Shuichi confirmed.

Tsumugi shook her head, "No, no, we can't be sure. Someone could have-"

"He left a note..." Shuichi admitted, holding up the note. Himiko gasped.

"Nyeh, but why did you keep it from us until now?" Everyone turned to look at Shuichi, their suspicious eyes gazing upon him.

Shuichi put the note in his pocket, "Because in the note he asked for only me to see it." Shuichi explained, "So I can't show it to you all, sorry."

Kiibo tilted his head, "But Kokichi is dead, will it matter if-"

"Its called respect, Kiibo. And I love and respect Kokichi enough to not show his dying message to you all." Shuichi interupted.

Kiibo nodded in understanding, "Right. Okay. Sorry." He apologized. Shuichi shook it off and sighed.

"I don't want to believe it either...but Kokichi....indeed ended his own life..." Shuichi felt himself on the brink of tears, but he had to continue.

Before he could say anything else, Monokuma interrupted him, "Are you completely sure? You know what happens if you get it wrong."

Shuichi gripped his podium tightly, "You know what!?" He snapped, "I'll prove it." He yanked the letter out of his pocket and unfolded it, "In sorry Kokichi.." He mumbled.

"Wait, but wouldn't that be disrespecting the dead?" Tsumugi asked.

"Yeah, but Kokichi wouldn't want us to have a trial with no evidence either. He was a little tirant, but I wasn't that evil." Maki explained.

Shuichi nodded in agreement, "He would have wanted this.." He hated those words, and he especially hated them out of his own mouth. He could never know what any dead classmate wanted. Especially Kokichi.

Only then Shuichi realized how little he really knew about he boy he loved.

That thought twisted at his heart.

He didn't know Kokichi..yet he loved Kokichi..and Kokichi loved him.