Promises

• Dedicated to Erick Vasquez

Greg Johnson walked through the crime scene with Kenneth Morstan by his side; he stopped in front of the kneeling medical examiner that eyed the dead body lying on the floor, her name was Ashleigh, he remembered. She looked up at Greg and simply greeted him and his companion, “Greg, Mr. Morstan.”

“Good morning,” Kenneth greeted back without even looking down at her.

“Same MO, I’m guessing,” Greg told her.

Ashleigh simply nodded.

“What game is Milverton playing this time? Coming suddenly out of the hiatus?” Greg said as he rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his greying hair.

Kenneth glared in an annoyed way, “this is isn’t Milverton.”

“How can you be so sure?” Ashleigh asked as she stood up.

“I simply know, okay?” Kenneth snapped at her.

Ashleigh sighed as she rolled her eyes, “okay, I’ll be at the lab if you shall need me.”

“Why would I need you?” Kenneth asked as he walked past her and away from the scene.

Ashleigh glared in his direction as Greg shook his head and looked down, “what the hell is his problem?” She asked.

“I guess he’s had a bad week,” Greg said as he thought of the problem he had been having with Laura, Sarah, the baby…Kenneth was very likely to be stressed and his way of relieving stress was surely being rude and harsh towards others.

“Right,” Ashleigh said as she left the scene as well, leaving Greg there standing alone with his thoughts. He thought of Kenneth’s recurring insistence about Milverton being dead and wondered how the younger man was so sure that William Milverton was dead.

Greg thought of many things in that very moment in which he had been there standing alone there in the crime scene. Then it hit him. There was only one way in which Kenneth could be so sure that Milverton was dead, upon realizing this he stormed off the crime scene.

[...]

Kenneth Morstan leaned against his car as he sighed in frustration and rubbed his face; how tedious everything had been lately. He thought of when he had been a very young man, not more than ten years ago.

How simple life had been back then.

How he wished he was back the, when he didn't have to worry about being glued to his pregnant girlfriend for life instead of being free to get together with the woman he loved. He slowly shook his head as he thought of how he had searched for Eleanor after they had seen each other and never had found her. How he had to move on despite wishing for wrapping Eleanor in his arms and never letting go. Then he had met Laura Rockefeller and had felt attracted to her but had decided not to push any further his relationship with the woman after she had been clear that she wasn't interested in any relationships back then when they had met. He hated to think of how he had found out Laura Rockefeller to be Eleanor and was already compromised with Sarah.

He loved Sarah, well he had convinced himself that he did, he was even planning a wedding with her, but then Eleanor had come back and oh, why was this happening to him? Despite how much he wanted to love Sarah he couldn't, he loved Eleanor. But Sarah was pregnant. God dammit.

Kenneth wanted to disappear from Earth's surface in that very moment.

When he had finally found Eleanor, he couldn't be with her.

It was when a voice interrupted his thoughts, "Erick..."

Kenneth looked up to find a woman standing before him just a few feet away, a woman with straight black hair, pale white skin and glowing blue eyes. Oh, Eleanor.

"Eleanor..." He managed to spit out. The last time he had seen her she was blonde and had curly hair. She had changed back to Eleanor for him. For me.

Laura stepped further and pressed her head to his chest as she wrapped her arms around his waist, drawing him into a tight embrace, "you don't know how much I've missed you."

Kenneth gasped at the sudden action from his long time love, "I have an idea of how much."

Laura looked up, for the first time her eyes looked sweet and not cold and murderous, "you do?"

"Yes." Kenneth sighed, then he remembered that he had a compromise with Sarah and gasped causing Laura to pull away from him.

"What's wrong?" Laura asked.

"Sorry, that's was totally uncalled for but I--"

"You what?"

"Eleanor, I am compromised."

"So?"

"We cannot be together this way." Kenneth sighed as he ruffled his hair in frustration.

Laura glared, "is this about Sarah?"

"Of course it is about Sarah," Kenneth said with a sad gaze.

Laura clenched her fists and glared, I thought this would happen. Now, I'm not going to spare her life, that little minx.

The murderous and cold look returned to her eyes, "we can go through that."

Kenneth looked down, "Eleanor, I--"

"We've waited for eight years, Erick! We can go through this!" Laura snapped.

Kenneth sighed, "I didn't wait for eight years, Eleanor." Laura felt her heart sink due to his words, "I went on with my life and made a new one with Sarah. Our life is in the past and things mustn't change. I should have never reminded you that morning at the restaurant." Kenneth lied. He obviously hadn't gone on with his life. He still loved Laura. He turned around and produced his car keys.

Laura just stared blankly before speaking, "we will be back together, Erick. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Eleanor." Kenneth coldly said.

Laura clenched her fists once more, "I'll do what it takes, Erick. I'll do what it takes to be at your side, I promise."

Kenneth just gave her one last sad gaze before driving off without saying another word.

Laura stared for a moment as the car disappeared from view once it took the road.

"I'll do what it takes..."

A/N: Yeah, I know ^^ Laura is one sick bastard. Sorry this update is kind of late but what can I tell you? Writer's block? Where? XD ^^ <3