Chapter 7: Relaxation?

We were exhausted by the time we reached the dead end. We were facing massive trees. The forest was the last place I wanted to go at the moment; but there was no going back. The alphas would probably find us if we turned around. We all knew how brutal Marcus was. He killed a 12 year old.

            Zane and Flynn comforted Jett while he cried. He was only 12 and he had no family left. It was my fault too. Sam put a comforting hand on my shoulder and he gave me a reassuring smile.

            “In we go,” I said.

            “We can’t just go in there. It’s creepy,” Dani said.

            “We have no choice,” Zane said.

            We walked quietly through the woods. Chris was leading us although he didn’t know where we were going. He sparked a casual conversation with Dani. Flynn walked beside Zane. He stumbled because not only was he carrying two skateboards, he was carrying Jett on his back.

            Sam and I walked behind them. We were quite a distance from the group. We could still see them but we couldn’t hear what they were saying. The forest was captivating. The beautiful animals grazed without a care in the world. A nice river ran along my right side. It sparkled as bright as Sam’s smile. Sam was a sweet guy. I could tell by his smile and his positivity. He had this kind of charm. A charm that made him so… likeable.

            “Sorry.” I said.

            “For what?” He asked.

            “Threatening you with my machete.”

            He smirked and laughed a little.

            “No worries. We’re cool now. Right?” He asked.

            “Definitely. I was never going to hurt you anyways,” I replied.

            We had a decent conversation for a few more minutes, and then the group stopped for a break. I took out a granola bar and handed it to Jett. He ate it quietly and looked at his shoes.

            “This looks like a good place to spend the night. It has wide logs against the river bank. It’ll be a great place to sleep,” Chris said.

            “How about you guys take a nap?  I’ll keep watch,” Zane said.

            “Wake us up if you hear something,” I replied.

            Sam and I found two logs near each other and relaxed there until we drifted off to sleep.

Dani’s Point Of View:

            For some odd reason, I couldn’t fall asleep. I stared at the river bank and watched little bunnies prance around. I sat up slowly. Zane was moving his gun around in his hands. He analyzed every little spot of it. I was bored so I walked over to him. I quietly sat down beside him.

            “I thought you were supposed to be sleeping,” Zane said.

            “And I thought you were supposed to be on lookout,” I replied.

            “Oh… true…” He said solemnly.

            “What’s wrong?” I asked.

            He shrugged and avoided looking at me.

            “Losing Jacob was hard for everyone; but things will get better. I promise.”