that better isn't me

Five Hargreeves
this one is a sad one, i'm writing it in third person because it's better than way lol

y/n stared at five while he scanned his eyes on the folder he held tightly for his mission.

he was always like this, five not giving attention to the person he was suppose to love. the first person to ever let him feel something, anything in particular. yet he was there, cold and ignorant. five knew he felt something but the lack of emotion he had kept him away, scared he might love to much that it would actually become a suicide more than a save.

y/n felt as if she was the only one fighting, but it was true. as she stared into five's eyes she knew that everything was just another game for five to play. no emotion, she tried her best to build up her walls yet five broke it down when he barely even touched it- he didn't even reach for it.

five looked up at her, seeing her eyes filled with hurt and regret. she was mad, so mad that tears might come falling down any second.

"i'm tired of this treatment, five." y/n started, putting her hand behind her back as her fist closed tightly. her nails were dug into her skin but this time, she was numb.

five looked at her with no emotion. "let's break up." those three words were as easy as ABC, yet the hardest to comprehend.

five's eyes showed no emotion as if he didn't care and that's what y/n thinks. but deep down, five's heart was crushed. a flood of realization has finally hit him yet he sat down, doing nothing.

y/n knew that it was going back to her. seeing five not caring about her was the most heartbreaking part she's experiencing and the constant fight between her tears were adding.

"okay." five agreed emotionlessly. y/n expected this but the look in her eyes showed otherwise.

y/n expected five to react something, or basically anything to try and keep their relationship in check. but she was wrong. she was damn wrong.

"do you- wait that isn't right- did you ever love me during all those months? or was i another game for you to play? because damn you're winning." y/n laughed bitterly as five stood up from his desk facing y/n with nothing but emotionless eyes.

"i did." he simply said which made y/n's heart break even more than it already was. "this isn't gonna work, y/n and you knew that from the beginning." five started to scold. her tears were already at the edge of her eyes and one blink would let her tear fall down.

"this isn't a game, five. this is a war that i was willing to take whole heartedly because you said i deserved better!" y/n started to raised up and her tear finally fell down her cheek. she didn't want to seem weak so she quickly wiped it off as if it didn't fall in the first place.

in five's head, he wanted to hug her. tell her that he also wanted to be better. he never felt love until she came and he was her foundation. he wanted to tell her how much he loved her and he knew the reason why y/n's eyes were always puffy every night.

he was the reason y/n cried herself to sleep. y/n thought she wasn't enough. she wasn't able to do her part in five's life, instead she was a pain rather than a remedy. she was getting hurt, deeply by her own decision. she was stupid for five yet she didn't know if five was stupid for her.

"you deserve better." five said under his breath, his arms tempted to wipe the tears off her face.

"then be better!" y/n reply as her voice gave up. she sobbed, hard.

"that better isn't me." five said emotionlessly. "find someone who will love you more than you love them." he added, y/n became numb at the choice of words five had said.

she couldn't feel anything anymore. she couldn't feel the pain in her hand as her nails dug in, she couldn't feel the warm liquid going down her cheeks and it was certain that she couldn't feel her heart anymore.

i was the one who was breaking with him, instead i'm the one who was hurt. y/n thought but she was wrong. five was hurt as well seeing the person he loves get hurt because of him.

"if you ever find someone, then i hope they treat you better than i did." five said before taking his blazer. "you should go as well." he added before going out his door.

as soon as he got out, y/n cried. she fell down to her knees as she held her chest looking for her heart beat that was clearly missing. her hands were now open with deep cuts because of her nails. she watched her tears fall down onto five's old wooden floor.

klaus came in bursting through five's door as he saw y/n on her knees crying.

"oh god." he mumbled as he went towards her. giving her an arm as y/n looked up, her eyes expected to see five but disappointed. she cried even more as klaus held her in his arms. "i'm sorry, y/n." klaus apologized as he heard y/n sobs getting louder.

meanwhile as five went down the stairs, he spatial jumped into their backyard where no one was there. he sat down as he looked up the sky, hurt. he had let go the person who loved him most than anyone else and the only person who he loved as well. his eyes were tearing up but he could have caredless. five cried, placing a hand on his lips trying to contain his loud sobs.

"fuck." he cursed as he felt his heart get crushed.