when reality hits

━━━━━━━━

Mike had had enough. He got up angrily, the girl snuggled up to his side still a whimpering mess. He paced the floor of his basement while running a hand down his face — something he did when frustrated.

"Mike." El sniffled, a blanket still wrapped around her from when she first arrived at the Wheeler's front porch, "It'll be fine, I just need to talk to him."

He stopped walking and turned to face his best friend whose eyes were red and watery. He let out a deep sigh, "How many times have you had to talk to him."

She bit her lip going quiet again and Mike just shook his head. He was sick of this game of back and forth with her. Ever since El started dating Danny Stevenson in sophomore year, these visits were getting more frequent.

But he wasn't surprised. He was know for his reputation and Mike hated that El was now in his trap. Knowing it wasn't his place to meddle with her relationships, it was the final straw with him. He hated to see her so hurt.

"He doesn't deserve you." Mike said crystal clear, causing El to sigh deeply.

She crossed her arms and plopped back down on his couch, her eyebrows knitting together. Why was it so hard for him to see her happy with someone she really loved. Danny, in her own mind was good enough for her. If anything he was the one who was too good.

"Of course you'd say something like that, you can never see the positive side of things." She snapped and Mike chuckled deeply.

"You're just oblivious because someone's actually showing interest in you for once." He shot back, feeling a pang of guilt straight after.

Why the hell did I just say that.

El was quiet now, her bottom lip trembling. Mike cursed to himself and took quick steps towards her, sitting down and pulling her in for a tight embrace.

She stiffened and tried to pull back but he wouldn't let her, stroking her curls soothingly as she sobbed against his neck, finally giving in to his touch.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, "I didn't mean that El I promise."

Danny for sure wasn't the first guy to show interest in El. She was beautiful and smart and kind. It just pained Mike to see her with someone who didn't treat her the way she deserved to be treated. He wished she could see that too, her worth and importance.

"I just want you to be happy." He mumbled against her hair.

"I am." She said against his chest, her tears subsiding and her voice muffled.

Mike pulled back so he could look down at her. The pain and vulnerability in her eyes caused his heart to ache and he shook his head sadly, his thumbs rubbing gentle circles into her forearms as he held them.

"If you were really happy with this guy, you shouldn't be this upset this often." Mike sighed as El shuffled, crossing her legs.

"It was just a fight Mike everyone fights." She defended and Mike groaned quietly.

"El please. You're not listening."