overcoming fears

2k reads!! Thank u xoxoxo

━━━━━━━━

El cautiously dipped her toes into the water, retracting her foot quickly as it lapped over her ankles. It was cold, and looked to be quiet deep the further out the lake stretched. Her arms crossed over her torso, slightly self conscious in her bathing suit. It was a baby blue, complimenting her sun kissed skin.

She looked ahead to see Lucas and Max playfully splashing each other while Will and Dustin threw a ball back and forth. Mike was attempting to play, but he was only focused on his girlfriend who was standing at the edge of the water. He smiled, using his arms and legs to swim towards her until the water was shallow enough to walk.

His hair was dripping wet and falling into his eyes and he looked very handsome to her. She hugged herself tighter, blushing as Mike stared at her in awe. He didn't comment on it, not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable.

"You wanna come in? It's really fun." He asked softly, his eyes squinted due to the sun shining down.

El tilted her head looking past Mike and into the deep water. It reminded her of too many bad memories and she didn't want to admit she was afraid. She took her bottom lip between her teeth and nibbled on it nervously.

"I think I'll just stay here and watch. You go ahead." She decided on, hoping it would be convincing. She plopped down onto the grainy like pebbles and smiled up at Mike.

"But I want to be with you." He whined, reaching out his hand for her to take. She let out a deep sigh and took it, nodding her head.

"Okay but not too deep." She warned and he nodded excitedly, happy to finally coax her into the water.

Their hands stayed linked together as Mike lead her in slowly, until the water reached her thighs. She shivered at the coolness of it, looking out to see the rest of her friends still a good distance away. The water reached their necks and she gulped nervously as Mike was walking even further out.

"Mike stop!" She suddenly gasped, feeling the water hit her waist now. She was trembling, her eyes welling with tears as she looked down, seeing nothing but darkness beneath her.

"El calm down it's okay." He replied gently, walking towards her and wrapping a secure arm around her waist. He noticed the tears threatening to spill from her golden specked eyes and he frowned.

"Hey." He said with concern, brushing his fingers under her chin, "El talk to me what's wrong?"

She sniffled then, a tear slipping down her cheek and she clung onto Mike as if her life depended on it. He pulled her to his chest, a hand resting against her head and soothingly stoking her hair. He placed a gentle kiss against her forehead, letting her take her time to calm down.

She finally stopped sniffling against him and pulled her head away from his chest. Her eyes were red by now and her cheeks wet from her tears.

"I'm sorry." She whispered and Mike shook his head.

"Sorry? What are you sorry for?"

She looked down again, "It's the water." She began, her voice muffled by how quietly she was talking.

"It makes me think of...papa."