a sacrifice

Ok so this is kinda inspired by that one riverdale scene in 3x21 when cheryl sacrifices herself for toni. I honestly think the show is trash but it was kinda a cute scene and i wanted to recreate a similar situation for mileven :)

━━━━━━━━

Mike took nimble steps along the exceptionally polished floors of the building he was scouring. The only light giving him an idea of where he was going, was the moonlight spilling through the small windows built into the walls. His breath was caught in his throat as he rounded another corner, praying to God he didn't bump into someone.

Although it was summer, it was freezing inside the building. The almost sinister atmosphere creating an unpleasant chill in the air, a shiver jerking down Mike's spine. But it didn't make him turn away, or think again about his goal. If anything it made him more determined to find the person he was looking for. Eleven.

The strong smell of disinfectant, and the white walls — completely bare, were a sickening reminder of El's childhood. She didn't like speaking of it often, and Mike could understand why.

Sometimes at night she'd be afraid to close her eyes, because she'd suffocate in those painful memories. They would ripple through her like a searing white pain — the pain she felt as a young child.

And Mike's worst fear wasn't the dark, or the vast ocean, or the demogorgon anymore. It was knowing Eleven was in pain. His long legs carried him quickly down another corridor, opening doors carefully as not to get caught and peeping in to see if he would spot her butterscotch waves or golden speckled eyes.

Every room was empty, an eery feeling creeping up the nape of his neck and causing the hairs there to stand. He could feel tears brim at the edge of his eyes but blinked them away quickly. He couldn't break now. He had to stay strong for her — like she always did for him.

He knew it was a risk. They all did. But he loved seeing her beam so big when she rolled around in the grass, with the summer sun glowing against her soft skin. It was only a year. He waited three hundred and fifty three days without her, he could do it again if it meant she was safe. But she hated feeling confined and Mike gave in to her puppy dog eyes and adorable pout. Even Hopper was getting fed up of her moping. And there was no sign of danger, not a trace so what could have gone wrong?

The soldiers took her away that night. And Mike screamed and kicked and fought his hardest against the stronger men restraining him. He watched them bundle her into the back of their army truck and drive away, not another sight of them since.

They had spent weeks, if not months searching for her and yet they only found impossible solutions, with no answers. Nobody had suspected the lab. It had been closed down after the attack of the demo dogs almost a year ago. It wasn't until Mike and the party had seen a familiar khaki green army drunk driving slowly and discreetly around the grounds.

They had tried to talk him out of it, saying over and over 'it's not safe, they have guns, weapons. They'll kill you'. Hopper was slowly working from the outside, trying to find an excuse to be able to inspect the lab. But this was the US army and nothing seemed suspicious.

Mike had planned it out on his own, knowing nobody would be willing to risk their lives to break into a place where they'd be shot dead in seconds. But Mike was always going to take that risk if it meant Eleven was safe. He snuck in at night at a back entrance where no security guards were present. It took him a few weeks to figure it out and now he was in the building, still searching for her.