that time of the month

"Michael Wheeler we have an emergency."

The boys were gathered around the small table in Mike's basement deeply invested in a campaign of dungeons and dragons. They scolded as Max interrupted them by bursting through the door of Mike's basement. It was Max's idea to have a girls day with El, so the boys thought it would be the perfect opportunity to play a game - something they hadn't done in quiet some time.

"You can't even last two hours without us." Lucas scoffed, looking pretty smitten as Max rolled her eyes.

"This doesn't involve you stalker." She said playfully, but also stern enough to show she wasn't messing about.

Truth to be told Max had no idea why she was even there. They were boys. They had no idea in the slightest what to do, when it came to an issue such as the one Max was dealing with at that very moment. If it wasn't for El's constant whining...

"Mike!" Max snapped, causing Mike to place down his players manual and glare at her.

"Can't you see we're busy? We've already invested an hour and forty minutes into this game-"

"I don't care about your nerdy wizard shit." Max rolled her eyes, placing her hands on her hips, "This is about El."

It was enough for Mike to stand up from playing that damn game, and snap back into reality. As per usual a wash of worry overtook his features and he frowned slightly as he walked towards Max.

"What do you mean? Is she okay?" He started blubbering and Max nodded in assurance.

"She's fine, um just an incident happened at the mall today, and well she won't stop asking to see you so here I am to shut her up for a while." Max explained, actually finding the whole situation quiet funny.

"What kind of incident?" Mike asked, already stuffing his feet into his trainers.

Max looked to see Lucas, Dustin and Will listening closely, so Max thought it best to wait until they were alone. She made her way up the stairs, waiting for Mike to follow her up.

"We'll get to that on the way." She settled for, holding the door open for Mike as he stumbled up the steps.

As they made their way outside, they both grabbed their bikes, cycling in the direction of El's cabin in Hawkins woods. It was mostly silent, the only sound the soft panting of Mike as he struggled to cycle in the summer heat. He caught up with Max, his hands gripping the handle bars.

"So what kind of incident?" Mike asked a second time, his voice laced with concern. "Max?"

"Oh calm down lover boy, it's nothing too serious." Max scoffed, the two turning down Cornwallis road.

"Okay well tell me." He pushed further, slowing down as they came towards a steep slope on the road.

It was a topic Max wasn't too keen on discussing with a boy, especially Mike Wheeler. The two had never seen eye to eye in the past, and their friendship was never strong enough for them to discuss their personal issues with each other. But Max remembered this was about El, and he was going to find out sooner or later.