Ropes and Disguises

Ahhh dear readers it gets better I promise. Thank you for reading.

Morning came faster than usual. Jang mi dressed in her finest robes and waited for his lordship by the creek. She has dressed as a courtesan yet her appearance was still so obvious, she had no idea how being a gisaeng changed anything.
   "Tae, over here" She said as she waved to his lordship.
He held her hands down.
"Not here, too many eyes" He pointed out.
"Oh, but I still look the same"
"Are you sure you're a gisaeng?  I knew this would happen so I came prepared" He brought down his knapsack and took her to a room.
    He removed her headpiece and placed one that had a style to the side. Then on it a hat that had a dark veil attached to it so it covered her face.
  "Here, wear this" He handed her silk gloves.
"There all done, let's go" He seemed pleased with himself.
Not objecting Jang mi followed and they walked hand in hand into the market. The bustling the traders made up for the silence. Jang mi was relieved she wasn't the pinnacle of attention. She blended in like sand at the beach. The beach, how she missed being able to run around in short and bikinis without being stared at like she was an alien or stoned to death for immorality. She sighed.

   "Jang mi" He called for the fifth time.
She snapped straight back into reality.
"Where was your mind? " He asked.
"Worrying about my training" She lied as she admired the end of market.
He followed her gaze.
"They are here for the party" He said.
"Party?" Her interest peaked. A source of excitement finally.
"The King's birthday" Her face fell.
"Merchants from all over the empire gather for the King's birthday. It is busier than any festival. Trinkets and valuable silks are sold here in his honour at extra cheap rates. The commoners look forward to this day all year round" He added.
   She stared at the traders as they spouted elaborate lies and the villagers ate them quickly. She shook her head.
"Want to check it out?" He asked.
  "Sure"
They moved into the crowd careful of not draw attention. Her head ran at LTE speed when she saw a box of trinkets, glasses, pouches and silk. That would be more than enough to buy over the gisaengs.
     "Gather around, gather around. Here are gold and silks to you at no cost" A voice said through the crowd.
   She pulled his lordship through the crowd towards where the event was taking place.
    "The fastest way to get rich at no cost, we offer you a deal that no one else can offer"
She cut them short.
"What's the catch? "
"It's not for fancy ladies, so just observe" The man replied in condescending tone.
"You can never be sure, what's the catch?" She insisted.
    The crowd had grown impatient and screamed too.
"Perform the Zi" He said boldly.
Puzzled she looked at his lordship.
The crowd had grown silent and was gradually reducing.
"It's a scam" Tae mouthed
"What do you mean?" She asked her eyes still on the prize.
  "It's a tight rope trick done over thorns. One false step and you suffer a grueling fall. It's was a form punishment in the Jou dynasty" He sighed.

She turned to the man, adrenaline coursing through her veins. She needed that box.
   "I'll do it" She gulped.
This was crazy.
The man was taken aback, he furrowed his brows.
His lordship pulled her back.
   "It's too dangerous"
She moved forward out of his grasp.
"I'll do it"
"Alright then, miss"
  The rope was tightened at both ends and the thorns were laid below it. The nervous look on Tae's face was ghost like, he had gone so pale he was almost white.
  Jang mi was in a hurry to get it over with, she adjusted her skirt for easy movement, took her shoes off as her ties nibbled at her silk socks. Holding the fans, she mounted the rope, all she had to do was look at the other end and imagine she was walking on a white line. Just another attempt at the walk of elegance, no pressure. She took her first step, held her breath avoiding eye contact with anyone she moved one step at a time, balancing herself. Before long she was at the other end. She had to make it back, moved swiftly on the rope, jumping down when she got the end.
  Stunned the man stared at her in awe while Tae released a breath he didn't know he held.
   "My box" She demanded.
"You amaze me... " She didn't let the man finish.
"My box" She repeated firmly.
"Yes, her box she did it" The crowd chanted.
  The box was handed over to her and a smile plastered her face. She had never felt more proud.
"I did it" She whispered to Tae as they headed back to the Wolryeongjeong unaware of their interlaced hands and her yet to be adjusted skirt.