011

EUGENE'S watch shows 8 p

EUGENE'S watch shows 8 p.m. when he heard a knock on his door, followed by Archie barking. It was a cold night, Sherlock Holmes was playing, and he didn't remember ordering any packages or takeouts. It had come across his mind to let it be, but the knocking was persistent. He told Archie to go back into his cage.

Who..?

He drags his lazy feet towards the door and pushes it open, surprised to see Francis, his mother Joanne, and Tyrone standing in front of him with a paper bag in hand. The three had warm smiles on their faces.

"Hello, Eugene." Joanne said. "Are we disturbing you?"

"N-no! Of course not. Come in." Eugene steps aside. "Sorry, I didn't know you were coming. I didn't tidy up the place."

"That's fine." Francis steps inside, following his wife. "You have a nice place, kid. Very impressive."

"Nice place, indeed." Tyrone nods. "And you have a dog. You're living the good life."

"But so dirty!" Joanne points to the pile of unwashed dishes in the kitchen. "Eugene, you better not make me wash those dishes myself!"

"Sorry Mum, I was busy." Eugene gave his mother an innocent smile. "I'll clean it up in no time."

The three of them took a seat on the couch, while Eugene excused himself to make four cups of hot tea and a cup of hot coffee. He sets them down on the coffee table, taking a seat next to his father.

"How did you know my address?"

Tyrone takes a sip of his tea. "We asked your friend. What's his name - oh, Richie."

"We thought it'd be nice to drop by. We miss you, after all." Francis added, crossing his legs. He still looked as young as last time. "We wanted to ask Miranda to come with us, but she's having that bridesmaid party thing."

"Are you sure you're not coming?" Joanne looked at him. "I know Miranda means a lot to you. It doesn't make sense that you won't come to her wedding."

"Don't worry guys, I'm coming." Eugene finally broke the news. "I hope you keep this a secret. I want to surprise her, because she still thinks I'm not going to be there."

"I knew it." Francis chuckled, placing the mug down. "The other reason why we're here is because we wanted to ask you about your attendance."

"I want you to be best man at my wedding, Eugene." Tyrone said. "I hope you'd be willing to do so."

"You want me to be best man? Why?" Eugene sits up straight.

"Funny story. Ty and Miranda told us that they feel that you should be best man because you're a special person in Miranda's life, plus Ty didn't really find anyone fit to be best man." Joanne said. "They sort of gave up when you said you won't come, but it'd be a surprise. What do you say?"

"I'd - well..yeah, okay, why not? You gotta give me something in return, though." Eugene sips his tea.

"That's Miranda's job." Tyrone lets out a light chuckle. "Her friend Ericca is going to be the maid of honor. I'm sure you'll be okay with that."

"Unless.." Francis sends him hopeful smile.

"Are you seeing anyone?" Joanne asked her son with wide eyes. She turns to Francis. "Maybe we'll have two weddings this year!"

"Woah, too much."

"But," Tyrone runs his fingers in his hair, "are you? Seeing someone? Bring them to the wedding, yeah?"

Instantly, Freya's face appeared in his mind. Eugene shakes his head lightly. His ears started warming up in the cool room. "Yeah, okay. Whatever floats your boat, Ty."