Chapter 2

I dropped Ruby off at swimming and made my way into work. There was going to be a few important meetings today that I'd have to attend. I found some of them rather boring, I won't lie. All that was running through my head was Scarlett. I worried about her a lot actually. Probably more than what was considered healthy. Seeing someone I loved completely breakdown hurt me. It would hurt anyone... wouldn't it?

I rang my mum in the car on the way to drop Ruby off. She was going to pick Ruby up from her swimming lesson and take her back to my parent's house. I tried to avoid the questions about Scarlett that she wanted to ask me through the phone. I didn't want to speak about any of it in front of Ruby.

My morning was spent sat around a table, discussing tour dates, merchandise, promotion deals and other big words I didn't really understand. Photosynthesis. My afternoon was rather exciting compared to that, we drove to a lot of different places, doing interviews for radio stations and chat shows. It's fair to say that I liked this part of the job, especially singing acoustic with Lewie. My diary was crammed full of promotion. There wasn't a day where I wouldn't be singing 'Bang Bang', or belting out the old classic, 'Price Tag'. It did take a lot of energy out of you though, I was always told by Scarlett to rest my voice at home.

Surprisingly, the day went pretty fast, it was 5pm and we had just come out of the 'Chatty Man' studios. Everything on today's to-do list was complete and I could head home. Well, not forgetting to make a quick detour to my parent's house. I pulled up in their driveway and walked towards the door. I heard screaming coming from inside, please tell me Ruby wasn't being a pain. She could do that sometimes.

I knocked at the door, unaware if I could be heard over the screams and shouts of what in fact, did sound like Ruby. Seconds later, my Mum answered the door, her face red. ''Oh, hello Jessica,'' she smiled. ''Have you come to pick Ruby up?''

''Yeah, has she been behaving alright? What were the screams?''

''Your father came home, resulting in her going absolutely bonkers. I think they're playing dinosaurs in the living room.'' My mum shook her head, looking rather exhausted.

''Most likely, she likes dinosaurs,'' I winked at my mum, smiling.

I was practically blanked by my daughter when I entered the living room. She turned to see who had come in the room, and went back to running away from my dad, as he chased her around the room. She dodged the coffee table and dining table, as she giggled and screamed nervously. My dad was just as childish as she was, racing behind her, fists clawed like a T-Rex. They got on so well, I was pretty sure that he was her best friend. Although really, that should have been Scarlett or I. Preferably me, Scarlett didn't need to know.

''Careful Rubes, you don't want to hurt yourself.''

''Yeah, yeah.'' She replied, waving her arms frantically as she skipped into the kitchen.

''I love you too.'' I sarcastically said to myself.

''It's not personal, don't worry. I'd blame your dad if I were you, you can't get a word in edge ways when they're together,'' my mum laughed, picking her pillows up off the floor.

''Has she been well behaved?''

''Of course, like usual.''

''She loves coming here you know, you should have seen her this morning when I mentioned it.''