Chapter 16

The place was nearly returned to its usual state when I heard the keys turn in the front door. I didn't even bother to turn around. Her footsteps grew louder as she entered the kitchen, the last place I wanted her to be. But then again, at least I knew she wasn't in the pub getting wasted. She passed me like I was as invisible as air, as she searched for a glass. "If you're looking for the alcohol, you've already drank it all."

She reluctantly filled the glass with water, and stayed facing the sink to drink it, avoiding eye contact. "Don't you have anything you want to say to me?" That got her to turn around.

"Like what?"

"Oh, I don't know. Perhaps, 'I'm sorry'."

"I said I was sorry on the phone."

"And did you mean it?"

Silence.

"Exactly." We weren't shouting,just raising our voices. I wasn't really angry, just tired.

"Look, Jess. I don't want to argue with you. That's the last thing I want."

"Well that's all we've done for the last six months."

"And that's why it needs to stop." She had a point there, but I wasn't finished.

"I don't know you any more, Scarlett. You aren't the person I thought you were. I know what happened has been taking its toll on you, but it's also been hurting me. Ruby's a little girl, she needs a stable family life."

"A stable family life? That's rich coming from you. You're the one who's always jetting off around the world, why did we think adopting her would be a good idea? It would be better off if she was back in that adoption centre."

That was my breaking point. What she said had come out of nowhere, I really wasn't expecting it. Then again, she wasn't expecting what I did after. I couldn't contain the fury as my hand suddenly made contact with her cheek, the sound audible through out the whole house. Within seconds, a bright red hand mark appeared on her cheek, making it look as if she was blushing. The blow made her turn her head away. She covered it immediately with her hand, still turning away, as if she didn't want to see me. Everything was then silent, I was only able to hear the sound of her breathing.

I think she gathered that she took it all a step too far by saying that. It was all in the heat of the moment and she didn't really mean it. Or did she? I couldn't tell truth from lies with Scarlett nowadays. We needed time apart, as much as it hurt me to say that. You'd think me being in different countries for the last few months would be enough space, but that's not what I meant. However many miles were in between us, that space wouldn't be enough.

"I think we need time apart, to clear our heads." She still hadn't turned around, which made this easier to say. "We need to take a step back and see if this is really what both of us want."

"What are you saying, Jess?" She was facing me now, her eyes looking directly at me, into what seemed like my soul.

"You know what I'm saying." Here eyes saddened and her face dropped. "I'm going to Tokyo for a week, that'll give you enough time to move some of your stuff out. You can spend some time with Amy."

"And what about Ruby?"

"She'll stay here with my mum. Mum will move in here for the week and look after her."

"So that's it? You're just kicking me out?" She looked at me as if I was the monster.

"Don't look at me like that. You knew that it was going to end up this way."

"This way? I don't want to have to move out, Jessica."

"Don't call me that." I bit my lip to stop the tears. "If you love me the slightest bit--"

"Of course I love you!" She cut me off.

"Listen, Scarlett. If you love me the slightest bit, you'll do this for me."

"Do what? Let you break up with me?" Her hand was still covering her cheek, I started to feel bad.

"Yes."

"Fine. We're done." We gave each other one last look before she grabbed her bag and left. The door slammed shut and I couldn't move. A single tear ran down my cheek and I knew if I didn't do something, more would follow.

I ran to get the phone to ring mum. That was it. We were over.

A/N: Banter.