Chapter 10

A few weeks later I knocked on Lauren's door. She had agreed to come over and reunite with my grandma which she used to babysit a long time ago. My grandma was turning a hundred this year and she remembers the days Lauren would come to babysit her. She cried when she found out about Lauren's death.

"Are you ready, LoLo?" I asked when she answered the door.

"Ready as I'll ever be." She sighed, closing the door behind her. We made our way down to the street where my car was parked. Lauren got in the passenger side while I ran around to the driver's side. On the way there I noticed Lauren was fidgeting with her fingers.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Lauren answered realizing what she was doing.

"You sure?"

"Yeah." She sighed looking out the window.

We pulled up in my driveway then walked up to my front door. Lauren had a look of concern in her eyes, not fear exactly, but concern. We walked inside and I called my grandmother downstairs.

"Do you want to sit down?" I asked. Lauren nodded and sat across from me on the couch. She began to play with her fingers again. "Nervous habit?"

"Yeah." Lauren blushed. "It helps me feel secure." I nodded and heard my grandma come slowly down the stairs. Lauren hitched her breath when she heard her cane hit each stair in a steady rhythm. My grandma turned the corner and gasped putting her hand up to her face.

"Lauren!?" She gasped.

"Hey, Misa." Lauren smiled at the elderly woman. My grandma hobbled over to Lauren as fast as her feeble legs could carry her then hugged her.

"I missed you so much!" My grandma was crying softly into Lauren's shoulder. A single tear streamed down Lauren's cheek after holding the younger but more aged woman in her arms. "I thought you were dead, but here you are! You haven't changed a bit."

"Well I'm here now, and I will be for all eternity." Lauren muttered with her soft, gentle voice.

"I remember when you used to sing to me when I had nightmares as a child." My grandmother chuckled. "Maybe you can... perhaps... do it again?" All eyes were now on Lauren. She stood wide eyed in the center of our living room with an expression of uncertainty.

"I-I don't know. The last time I sang was almost a hundred years ago!" Lauren muttered shyly.

"Lauren, unlike you my time grows nearer every day." My grandma said placing a wrinkled arm on Lauren's shoulder. "I just want to hear you sing two songs." Lauren hesitated then nodded in understanding.

"What songs?" She asked.

"In Christ Alone and Nightingale."

"That's it. Nothing more nothing less." Lauren asked with a hint of questioning. My grandma nodded and led her to the keyboard along the wall. I know why my grandma chose those two. Lauren would sing In Christ Alone to her when she had nightmares and Nightingale is a more modern but meaningful song. "Ok..." Lauren breathed as she began to play the first song.

In Christ Alone

In Christ alone my hope is found;

He is my light, my strength, my song;

This cornerstone, this solid ground,

Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.

What heights of love, what depths of peace,

When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!

My comforter, my all in all-

Here in the love of Christ I stand.