Part 17: Reality's Back

Jaden

"Hey, Kyle. Wake up." I said, I waited but there's no reply.

"Kyle!!! Umaga na, we could try to go find our way out." Again, I waited. No reply.

I tried to get a pulse.

Ah. There.

Weak, but still there.

That is one poisonous snake and we better find help fast.

Tinanggal ko lahat ng laman ng bag ko, at ang itinira ko lang ay tubig.

The rest? Pampabigat lang sila. I carried her and started to walk.

I seldom care about people around me, and I suppose that this was the actual first time that I became selfless.

What happened to me? If this had happened before, baka iniwan ko na sya dito and I will find my own way out.

But I stayed.

What's wrong with me?

All of it. This is all wrong.

I should not see this girl other than a friend. I shall keep myself away from her.

But this time, we only have each other. So I need to stay and help her. Mahirap man mag hanap ng daan palabas, at least I tried.

I walked, stepping on fallen branches and felt tired. Pero kapag tinitingan ko si kyle, I feel like I'm all ready to walk again.

I cant bear to lose this girl, specially not here. Not here sa lugar kung saan walang pag-asa. Not here, sa gitna ng bundok.

Not now.

Never.

She will not die.

Lakad, lakad.

Malayo pa ba ako?

Lakad, lakad.

Lakad, lakad.

Lakad, lakad.

"A man can't do so much for a woman less than his loved one." Naalala ko yung sabi ni Dad, samin ni Darren.

He says that line when he does something for our mom. He says he wants the best for her. He wants her to be happy. And so he does his best, because he loves her.

I remember the first time I saw kyle.

I knew that there was something about her, that drawns me no matter how hard I try to push the thought away.

Lakad, lakad.

Lakad, lakad.

Lakad, lakad.

Finally, I saw an open clearing. I saw the sunflowers. And right there and then, I saw Darren, running towards us, shouting something, which I could not understand.

My mind swirled and turned inside my head. She took her from my arms and I felt like my heart was pulled, ohalf of it to the east, and the other half to the north.

And all of a sudden, as she leaves my arms, the strength I have had left me, and I fell to the ground.

Darren

"Kyle! You cannot die on me! Kasasagot mo lang sakin now you're gonna be like this? You do not get to die. Hindi kita pinapayagan. You hear me?!!" I shout at the top of my lungs. I can feel her heartbeat slow.

Getting slower by the minute.

"Panget, don't you dare leave me." I said

"Ano ba? Nasa ambulansya na nga tayo napaka bagal parin!?"

"kalma lang sir, halos nalipad na nga tayo sa bilis eh." Sabi nung driver

"Kalma? If someone you love could be dying could you tell yourself to calm the fuck down?!?!"

He ignored me and I continued praying to a God I barely call unto. I know this is a little late for me to turn myself back to God, but I know he listens to every hearts that pray.

And now, I am praying for him to spare me kyle.

We arrived at the hospital and they do those things to her.

To save her.

And I cannot bear to think that she won't survive this.

"sir hanggang dito nalang kayo." Sabi nung nurse

"P-pero kailangan nya ako dun!!"

"right now sir, ang kailangan nya ay immediate help, and we cannot work knowing that you are watching us in everything we do."

"Okay."

I backed off, and now.. all I am waiting for was a good news.

"anak, I heard what happened, anong nangyari?!"

"She was with Jaden. Kasalanan 'to lahat ni Jaden!" sigaw ko

"Don't put all theseblame sa kapatid mo!! It's a snake bite for heaven's sake!"

"Hanggang dito ba ma, si Jaden parin!?"

"Darren, we have bigger problems."

"Can you please, just leave?"

Mom walked away, called someone and left.

**"Maniwala ka sakin! Nandito sya. I am a lady of honour and I do not tell lies, specially important ones like this. Go now! I mean it. She will get mad at me but I know she need her father,"**

Who is my mom talking to? Sounds urgent. Urgent enough that she made sure that the nurses at the station were all busy away.

I watched her go and I waited there, with all the patience I can keep inside.

After 2 hours the doctor came out and his face in an expression I could not decipher.

"she's now stable. She had a snakebite from a philippine cobra. We are lucky na naagapan natin ang lahat, at swerte din tayo na tama ang pagkakalagay ng tali sa binti nya. Swerte tayo na buhay pa sya, she's stable. We'll just have to wait for her to wake up. You can visit her now."

Bago ako makatayo, a group of men wearing black suits came, then I saw the president, walking towards me.

"what did you do to my daughter?!" sigaw sakin ni President Ariniego.

"Wala akong alam! I don't even know that you have a daughter."

"Where the hell is kyle?"

"Kyle? You mean Kyle Nicole Herrera? HAHA! Sir, with all due respect, I doubt that she is your daughter."

"Your mother called me, Mr. Espinosa, and no she is not Kyle Nicole Herrera, you poor boy. She is Kyle Nicole Ariniego."

"Sir, room 2390" Sabi ng isa sa mga lalaking naka suit.

And He walked away towards the room of the girl that I thought I knew.

I stand there, corrected.