Chapter 26

"Uh... MJ?"

She looks up from her phone and I give her the look. It's a very specific look that I use to tell her when something doesn't feel right.

She glances down at my gloves, catching a glimps of the stones glowing in the palms.

"Peter's got this. You know your not ready yet." She replies non-challently.

I'm not. She knows. I showed her my wings in excitment when the pin-feathers started. They're only half-grown and not ready to be used in flight at all.

I glance up at the open sky. I don't know why.

Then we hear screams and we look towards them to see a large black creature soaring above Central park; searching.

"Doesn't matter." I grab her hand and yank her into the public washroom for cover.

I pull my mask from my pocket, securing it behind my ears.

"Aster-!"

I pull off the rest of my clothes, revealing my suit. I wear it just in case of an emergency.

Like now.

"Aster! Peter's gonna kill me!" Michelle whisper-shouts at me.

I pull my gloves off and hand them to her along with the rest of my clothes.

"My choice." I reply courtly, pushing the door open as my wings burst out. "Not yours. He can't say anything."

The creature screams as it spots me, as if alerting that it's prey has been targeted.

It dawns on me. It's after me. It's looking for me. It hasn't done anything else but that.

I jump up onto the top of the washrooms.

I know now to avoid the tallons. Not that that wasn't common sense before, but now that is essential.

I think I might have a plan.

I grab hold of a metal flag-pole, turning it into my staff. I let the creature dive for me, then use my staff and wings to jump above it as it passes.

I grab hold of the saggy skin on the scruff of it's non-existant neck and hold on for dear-life. 

I can't fly, but this thing can. I need to isolate myself and it from the innocent people in case something does happen.

I use my own wings to counter the creature's attempts to steer us off.

I manage to just make it to a cluster of high-rises when the thing shakes me loose, spinning us upside down.

I roll across the roof, flipping off the edge. My fingers catch before I plummet and I pull myself back up.

"Come on, you winged-molerat! Why is it you want me soo bad?!" I demand as it circles around.

I just need to stay free until Peter can get here and web up the creature.

I dodge it over and over again before it suddenly looses patience with me, letting out another powerful screech. This one supernaturally loud. It drives me to become dizzy and disoriented.

And my hearing goes, leaving only a ringing simular to the buzz of a television that's lost signal.

When I stand back up, the creature's barreling towards me. I dropped the staff and I can't see where it landed. It's too focused on me and I won't be able to dodge it.

Unless...

I turn my back to the creature, making my wings collapse into my back. I sprint to the ledge of the building; pushing off with every pound of strength in my legs.

And for a moment I feel the bliss of flying again.

PETER'S P.O.V.

I was with Ned at the apartment when my Spidey senses started to act up.

I quickly changed and left, following my senses to a group of some of the highest buildings in New York.

On top of that I see that stupid creature that almost killed Aster.

And Aster, dodging the creature's attempts to grab hold of her.

Then the creature screams soo loud that it makes my own ears hurt from where I am, at least a couple miles away.

Aster clutchs her ears, falling to her knees for a moment and my heart nearly skips a beat.

But then she gets up as the creature swoops down again.

I'm almost there, but I won't make it before it grabs her.

That is until Aster suddenly turns, pulling her wings in and lunging off the top of the building.

I swing to where I seen her jump from, searching below for her. I should see her falling, but I see nothing.

ASTERYN'S P.O.V.

I stand the roof of the building beside.

It was at least a twenty foot gap, but I cleared it thanks to the building being shorter than the one I jumped from.

I glance around, spoting both the creature and Spider-man.

"Hey!"

I can't even hear my own voice right now, but I know Peter heard me because his head snaps up towards me.

I point up as the creature cuts low above Spidey and he shoots a web at it, tangling it all up.

I duck as the thing nearly crashes into me, skidding to a stop on the same roof.

It struggles but is unable to escape.

I'm startled by the feeling of a hand on my arm and turn around to see Peter. I think he tried to say something to me, but I can't hear. He hugs me tight and I hug him back before placing a hand by my ear to wipe what I thought was a bead of sweat.

But it's blood. The thing's scream actually made my ears bleed.

The eyes on Peter's mask widens before he pulls it off and takes my hand, staring for a moment in disbelief before wiping away some more blood streaming down my neck from the other ear.

He opens his mouth and I know he's trying to say something to me.

"I can't hear you." I cut him off, shaking my head and trying my best to be conscious of my volume. Which is hard when you can't even hear yourself.

He flushs and touchs my cheek before turning back to the creature; spinning more webs on it to make sure it's secure.