story 2 - it's just three words

"Please, Todoroki. This is for all of us." Aizawa stood in front of me, holding my shoulder.

"No! Izuku will hate me! I will not!" I yelled at him, anger seeping into my chest and burning everything from the inside.

Midoriya didn't know what was happening. I wish I could tell him. He deserved to know. I wanted him to know. He didn't deserve any of this. I was his boyfriend and damn right I'm gonna protect him as one.

"Todoroki, if you stay around him I'm sure Shigaraki wouldn't hesitate to take him too." Aizawa sighed.

I hadn't even thought of that possibility. I stared at him, my jaw agape.

Recently, me and my old man had encountered Shigaraki and his teleporting friend during one of our patrols. We ended up burning the hand on his face that he calls "father" by mistake when defending ourselves. Out of rage, he destroyed a tree and we watched in horror as it crumbled to dust, and when we looked for him again he was nowhere to be found.

We thought that was the end of it, but I met Shigaraki again and he threatened to torture me slowly if I didn't apologise and bow to him in front of everyone. I couldn't engage in battle anymore, without supervision from a pro hero. I did my best and fled the area, and told my old man about it. I wanted to tell Midoriya, but the next day he ran to my house in tears.

Apparently, his mother had been killed, and all that was left was a post-it note with a messy message scrawled in red that read,"let the fun begin. -S".

I knew that was Shigaraki's warning. How he found out about me and Midoriya, I had no idea. The fact he was purposely toyed around with the people who mattered most to me was super infuriating. I'm thankful he hadn't targeted my mum or older siblings, and he might be under the false impression I hated my entire family instead of just my dad.

What I feared was that he was going after the ones I loved and cared about outside of my bloodline.

I told my old man again, but completely forgot to tell Midoriya. The police was informed and I wasn't allowed to breathe a word of this to anyone, even Midoriya. To keep him safe.

"Stay away from him, by pretending you hate him. It would keep him safe, if Shigaraki was watching somewhere, which he probably is, he'd know that Midoriya meant nothing to you and leave him alone. He can stay away from this mess," Aizawa sensei explained slowly.

I clutched my temples with one hand, my thumb and index pressing hard against them, with my teeth bared and my jaw clenched. I wanted Izuku to be safe. I didn't want to leave him alone. But I need him to be safe. Tomura was after me, not him. He deserved to be safe and happy, and all I did was bring in trouble and sadness. His mum is gone because of me. An unknown emotion stirred in my stomach. I love Midoriya. I love that clumsy and cute bunny who's willing to do anything to be a hero. The broccoli of mine that's willing to sacrifice himself for others. The little floof of happiness that's... mine.

Of course I wouldn't want anything to hurt him, but... I couldn't help but feel a little selfish. I'll protect him, I can. But I knew deep down I couldn't be with him 24/7. What if Shigaraki strikes then? I need to keep him safe, and this might not be the most pleasant but... it needs to be done. All for my bunny. My life.

"I... I'll do it." I clenched my jaw and looked to the ground.

"Thank you, Todoroki," Aizawa nodded. "He'll be safer now."

~

Afterwards, I walked to Midoriya's house. A sick feeling was bubbling and gurgling at the pit of my stomach, making me feel nauseous. Fear was gripping me and shaking me, and anxiety was making me extremely nervous.