Chapter 32: Niall

I dove down behind a couple crates as the explosion happened. I covered my head with my hands as the whip of heat came towards me. I heard men retreating out of the building in fear that it could collapse. I glanced over where Roxanne was to see what I feared.

"No!" I yelled as I watched the elevator fall into the water. "Roxanne!"

I ran towards the opening, but to only get tackled by someone. I looked up to see Blackbourne. Why can't this fucker just die? I thought to myself. He began to punch me as I blocked him. I grabbed him from behind his neck and headbutted him. I punched him in the jaw to get him off me. I grasped onto his shirt to punch him again. However, he pulled out a knife and cut me in the cheek, causing me to step away from him.

He started to slash towards me, making me block every move. I dodged his attempt to stab me, grasped his wrist, and used my elbow to slam it against his forearm. Then, I brought my elbow to his face. Blackbourne's grip loosened on the knife, making me grab it. In a swift motion, I stabbed him in the chest, causing his eyes to widen.

Without making sure that he was dead, I ran towards the water and dove in. I swam down to where Roxanne was. She was at least ten feet underwater. Immediately, I tried prying open the gate and kicking it a few times.

Roxanne swam over to me, trying to help. We managed to only get at least a foot of the gate open, but not enough to get her out. My lungs started to burn, begging for air, but I wasn't going to stop fighting. I couldn't imagine how Roxanne's lungs were feeling if I was already struggling for air. I needed to get Roxanne out. There was no way she had much time left. I had to do this for her. I needed to save her.

Hands cupped my face, making me look at Roxanne. She held my face, caressing it for a moment. She leaned forward and pressed her lips against mine. I was confused at first until I felt her blow air into my lungs. My eyes widened as I realized that was the last amount of air she had left in her lungs. Roxanne quickly pulled away, moving to the farthest part of the cage.

She waved her arm, gesturing me to go. I shook my head, trying to break open the gate more. I wasn't going to give up. I watched her screaming at me to leave, but I wouldn't listen to her. I reached my hand through the space, trying to grab her, but she wouldn't come closer. My eyes widened as I noticed her struggling. Suddenly, her body became limp. I yelled, fighting at the gate. I pushed my feet into the opening and pushed it with all my might. Finally, I was able to make an opening big enough to fit Roxanne through. I reached for her, grabbing her arm and pulling her out.

I swam as fast as I could with her in my arms. Once I hit the surface, I took deep breaths. I let Roxanne's head lean against my shoulder as I swam to the shore. We were outside the building, near the pier that the building was resting on. Siren lights were flashing nearby from ambulance cars, patrol cars, and firetrucks.

I dragged Roxanne out of the water and laid her down. I quickly ran, waving my hands around. "Hey, over here! I need help over here!" I shouted towards the closest paramedics. "I need help now! She's not breathing!"

I ran back to Roxanne and started to perform CPR. I pinched her nose and blew air into her lungs and started chest compressions. I felt for a pulse, but there was nothing. No, don't do this to me, I thought to myself. Don't tell me that I'm too late.

I started to do chest compressions again. "Come on, Rox! Don't do this to me! Come on, breathe! You have to breathe! Don't do this to me! Breathe!" I pinched her nose and blew some more air in her lungs. "Rox, damn it, breathe!"

The paramedics ran over to Roxanne and me. "We'll take over, Sir," one said, making me move out of the way. One worked on doing chest compressions while the other checked for pulse. Once one was done doing chest compressions, the other put air in her lungs.