Chapter 19: Roxanne

It was the weekend and the club was so busy. Spring break was nearly over and everyone was at my club to have their final outing before they had to cram back to school. The line to go inside was curving around the block, the bar was flooded with customers, and there was barely room for anyone to squeeze through in the dance floor.

Niall was training with Kyle to be a bouncer. I wasn't going to let him know about the surveillances. His only responsibility was to make sure no fights broke out and to make sure customers didn't walk behind the DJ booth. If Niall wasn't a bouncer, he would be working with the alcohol inventory. David was concerned about why I hired Niall due to the incident that happened with Niall bringing drugs into my club.

"It's none of your business, David," I stated as I was making sure that the bar was ready for the club to be opened.

"Roxanne, it is my business if a bloke who sold drugs in your facility is hired here by you, none the less."

"That information stays between the bouncers that were involved, Niall, you, and me. Do I make myself clear?"

"And now, we're hiding that fact? He should've been kicked out for good, not hired to be a bouncer! He could let other dealers in and disregard them if they sell to someone."

"He doesn't have the same job as the others. He is only learning to be a bouncer if we are shorthanded. His main responsibility is inventory. Are we done having this conversation?"

"Roxanne, I respect you, but this is completely ridiculous. You shouldn't have to give him a job out of pity because you guys had history. You're divorcing him, aren't you? Shouldn't you be staying away from him?"

I rolled my eyes, "David, I get that you're concerned, but it is my decision on whether or not I should hire Niall. On top of that, it is my decision on whether or not I tell you why I hired him. I'm deciding that it's none of your business. If you got a problem with that, then find another job. Am I clear?"

He sighed, "I'm sorry. I'm just concerned, that's all."

"I appreciate it, but it's not necessary. Now, please, go make sure that the DJ has everything he needs for tonight."

Afterward, David was able to focus back to his job instead of being my life coach. I had no idea what had gotten into him, but I wasn't going to tolerate it if he was planning to do that again. I kept my earpiece on as I walked to my office. I needed a break and a breath of air that didn't smell like booze and sweat. I closed the door to my office and leaned my forehead against it. I was so thankful that I was actually able to relax once I was in the comfort of my own office.

When my body was no longer tense, I sat down and started looking at the paperwork. Thankfully, alcohol hasn't been stolen lately. However, an investigation was still happening, but the police informed me the trail was going cold. I had all the locks changed to make sure that whoever stole it wouldn't be able to get in anymore. I was also waiting on a door scanner that only allowed access with a badge. I was going to install those in the pantry and storage area.

A knock on my door made me sigh. I stood up and opened the door to see Niall. I opened the door for him and he walked inside.

"What's going on?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he answered. "I saw you a little tense earlier tonight. I wanted to see if you were alright."

"I'm fine," I said, leaning against my desk. "David was trying to figure out why I hired you, but that's about it."

Niall stood in front of me and placed his hands on the desk, trapping me. "Did the two of you have a thing before me?"

I frowned at him, "Niall, he's my associate. I would never date him."