Chapter 31: Roxanne

A black cloth was placed over my head as we drove to an unknown destination. My body was hurting from the beating I got and I still felt dizzy from the drugs I had from the hospital. I knew that they were sending videos to Niall as they tortured me. However, they only beat me. They didn't inject me with anything. When the syringe got closer, Blackbourne stopped it. He said that he wanted me aware with what was going to happen next.

The sound of the car door opening was next to me and I got yanked. I stumbled as I was being dragged somewhere. From the sound of where I stepped, I noticed it was wood. Perhaps it was a pier. The floor changed to a more stable ground. I felt someone untie my hands. Suddenly, I was shoved. My hands reached out to catch my fall only to grasp onto metal bars. I removed the cloth and looked around. I was in what looked like an old caged elevator. I walked to the other side of the elevator to look down. From what I could tell from a very small space, I saw water.

"This used to be a place where they studied marine life," Blackbourne said, making me look at him. He stood in front of the doors. "They used this elevator for scuba divers. They would go in with their gear on, and they would open these doors to explore the ocean. Once they were done, they would push a button and be brought back up. They had to shut this building down though. Apparently, there were a lot of building code violations, making it unsafe."

"And what do you use this for?"

Blackbourne smirked, "I'm just using it as a cage for now."

"You could've gotten away," I said to him. "Yet, you chose to get your revenge on Niall through me. Why?"

"Nobody fucks with me," Blackbourne replied. "I heard about what happened to your foster mother. My condolences."

My eyes diverted to David, who was watching me from afar. "He's going to get what's coming to him, just like you."

"Yes, Niall gave me a little threat, but he can't do anything about it." Blackbourne looked at the time. "Well, he has two hours left. Why don't we give him a little phone call?"

Blackbourne put the phone on speaker. Niall answered on the first ring, "Hello?"

"Time is running out, Niall."

"I'm heading to the warehouse soon."

"Actually, Niall, change of plans. I'll have Luther send you the address."

"Let me talk to Roxanne so I know she's alive."

Blackbourne gestured for me to say something to him. "Niall," I said.

"Rox, are you alright?"

"Kind of a ridiculous question, don't you think?"

"Rox, I'm so sorry. I never meant-"

Blackbourne hung up the phone. "I'm never been into that romantic bullshit."

"So, tell me, what's really your plan after this? You get the money and take off, right? You're just going to let Niall and me go just like that or are you going to kill us?"

"I haven't decided yet," Blackbourne shrugged, pulling up a chair. "You know, you wouldn't be in this mess if you just partnered with me. You would've been living a life of luxury if you chose me."

"I've dealt with thugs like you before. I promised to never get involved with them ever again. I made my business from the ground up and I did it clean. I didn't need your dirty money or do dirty deeds like you."

Blackbourne chuckled, "Have it your way, Roxanne. I'm just letting you know that this didn't have to end up this way."

"Well, I can tell you one thing about Niall. He may make stupid decisions and get himself in a deep hole, but he knows how to crawl out of it. And, he won't let anyone that hurts me get away with it. Don't underestimate him." I glared at David, who still had his eyes on me. "And I can't wait for Niall to beat the living shit out of you."