11

a l e x a n d r a

PAIN. that was all that i felt, numbness spreading throughout my whole physique but it could still be felt. although I was used to it, i just couldn't help to over think it all.

i tried so hard to move but i somehow couldn't. something told me that i was unconscious, but i fought hard to open my eyes.

breathing did not hurt and i actually felt annoyed because my respiratory system was still working perfectly fine.

my ears could now function as the sounds of my surroundings were clearing from the muffled tones. i could make out words and for sure, it was the sounds and voices you could only hear in hospitals.

no, i did not forget a thing like any other cliché patients in movies do:

*wakes up on a hospital bed*

*is wearing a hospital gown*

*have a doctor and nurses around*

"Where am I?"

sigh, really? well let's just say that my mind was working just fine.

the words around me were forming sentences and now i could clearly hear what really was going on.

a door just squeaked open and the room fell eerily quiet once it closed shut, leaving only the beeping of the machine which showed the stability of my heartbeat.

it opened again, this time a few pairs of shoes scraped on the floor as i felt a couple more presence in the room.

"sit next to her." a voice spoke and i tried to make out whose it was.

"umph."

the chair which i supposed was by the bed i was lying on, was now occupied by the person who sat with an 'umph'.

luke.

"aw, don't cry, luke. she'll wake up, don't worry, yeah?"

michael. definitely michael.

"ah-uh-al..." a cold hand touched mine, "al-aluh-alex..."

i'm right here, luke. right here.

"calum, don't just sit there. come 'ere will you?" a strong australian accent laced through the sentence.

ashton, i guess.

all the boys were here for me and if i couldn't wake up then i would be a douche.

please, eyes... open. now.

some shuffling sounds were heard and i felt the spot on the bed near my feet sank in. i assumed it was calum.

"alex, this isn't funny so it would be really nice if you open your eyes now. not for me, for luke."

yes, it was him. and i felt a hand holding my shin.

"c'mon, alex, poor kid's losing his voice crying."

"calum!" i believed michael smacked calum somewhere as he cursed.

i could do this. i could open my eyes. yes, just lift up my eyelids and...

"she's waking up!" ashton almost shouted.

luke's hand grasped mine tighter and without noticing, calum's grip on my leg was tightening,too.

"i'll go get the doctor!" i caught a peek of michael running off for the door, "or the nurse!"

and he disappeared behind the opaque door.

my eyes were fully opened and all three eyes were on me, relief washed over their faces. even calum's.

"l-luke..." my voice croaked as i smiled at the blonde boy seated next to me. he had a couple bruises on his face but lucky for me he wasn't further hurt.

i would let liz badly injure me any day if that meant her not touching luke.

he had tears brimming in his eyes and were threatening to fall down his beautiful face.

"shh, baby, come here." i pulled him into an embrace so tight but i didn't care enough to care.

"aw..." ashton cooed and calum smiled at me while i put my chin on luke's shoulder. "i wish my sister and i are this sweet."

"well boohoo, ash. mali and i are that sweet." calum backfired and received an ashton rolling his eyes as a reply.

michael then came back with a doctor right on his heels. the four boys stepped back and i just let the doctor did what he had to.

his name tag read Eugene.

"okay, alexandra. you lost conscious due to a little shake that occurred to your brain. mr. irwin here had told me what'd happened. don't worry. a patient's secret is always safe with me."

i could only manage to smile and the doctor gave me a pat on the head as if i was a child who got chicken pox and was quarantined.

"i'll bring in her medicines later on and if nothing else about her health is reported badly tomorrow then she may be discharged before noon." dr. eugene told before he exchanged greetings with the boys and exited the room.

michael was the first to rush to my bedside.

"oh my god, alex, you scared me. i swear once you hang out with us, none of this will happen again."

we had a short hug and then came ashton whose hug was the warmest and soothest.

"yes, alex. we won't let anyone hurt you. or luke."

if only they knew.

calum and i had an awkward hug but it lasted quite as long as ashton's. he didn't say anything except for just rubbing my back and breaking the hug after.

we locked stares for a while. the other three seemed to be having fun with the tv's remote control.

seriously, how do you have fun with a remote control?

"alex," called calum.

"hmm?"

he smiled, "i'm glad you're awake."

if only he knew.