12

c a l u m

AFTER waiting for what seemed like forever, the doctor finally came out of the damn room and told us that we could now enter and see Alexandra.

Luke was first to stand up - with a little help from Michael because he seemed like he was about to fall - and we followed suit into the room.

Our sneakers squeaked on the shiny surface of the floor as we entered the room, trying our best not to make any loud noises.

Alex was still unconscious, lying placid on the bed with some kind of a tube stuck into her vein and the hospital gown loosely covered her body under the sheets. Her blonde hair was a little out of place, though...

That monster really had a thing about pulling one's hair.

The room was eerily quiet; only our shuffling noises filling the atmosphere. The walls were white and so was the ceiling. It looked like the color of heaven except it wasn't.

"Sit next to her." Ashton demanded.

He guided the tall boy to the plastic blue chair beside the bed. Luke's legs wobbled like his lips, trembling at the thought of losing his sister.

Luke sat down with an 'umph' and I observed him as his eyes were fixed on Alex's state.

That was when he lost it and started crying.

"Aw, don't cry, Luke. She'll wake up, don't worry, yeah?" Michael could be so nice sometimes. I wish this purple head could be like that all the time. That would be a miracle. I swear.

"Ah-uh-al..." Luke caressed Alex's hand before grabbing ahold of it. I had to admit that I was feeling very sad indeed. Especially watching Luke trying his best to say his sister's name for her.

Please wake up, Alex. Please.

"Calum, don't just sit there. Come 'ere will you?"

I shot Ashton a glare and stood up from the chair I was sitting on before walking toward the bed, deciding whether to sit or not.

Michael rolled his eyes at me and pointed at the bed so I slowly sat down at the edge, by her feet.

Ashton then whispered a quick "Say something!" as I hesitantly placed my hand on the shin of her leg.

"Alex, this isn't funny so it would be really nice if you open your eyes now. Not for me... For Luke." I bit my lip, trying to find more things to say, "C'mon, Alex, poor kid's losing his voice crying."

"Calum!" Michael glared and smacked the back of my head.

I mumbled a small "Fuck!" before rubbing the spot where he'd pained.

Who knew something special could happen in the midst of our arguments?

"She's waking up!" Ashton seemed excited and surprised.

I was also surprised yet happiness overwhelmed my heart as my grip on her leg tightened at the same time as Luke's.

"I'll go get the doctor!"

Well someone decided to be rational.

Michael ran towards the door and swung it open in a swift movement before disappearing with, "Or the nurse!"

The three of us left fixed our eyes on the pale girl who was now fully awake by the looks of her face. You could tell that we were all relieved.

"L-Luke..."

Her voice croaked as she smiled at the blonde boy seated next to her. I could see Luke holding back his tears from falling any further and I saluted him for that.