14

c a l u m

ASHTON immediately halted the vehicle a few yards away from the burning house before we all scrambled out of it, still not believing the scene happening in front of our eyes.

The back part of the house was almost fully burnt down while the fire was just starting to lick up the front.

Alex was already running toward the small crowd of people who were trying to put out the fire and we all followed suit.

There was a fire truck parked right in front of the house and I spot a few firemen heaving water hosts into the home. Some people were just passers-by who were somewhat curious about the situation while the remainders were actually helping with water buckets.

"THERE'S A LADY IN HERE!" shouted one of the firemen who was checking around the back of the house from inside.

Alex's face paled, "Liz! That must be Liz!"

She looked like she was about to cry and Luke was already on the verge of tearing up.

I didn't understand their care for Liz. Well, she was the one who gave birth to Luke so I understood that on his behalf.

But Alex...

It seemed like she had forgotten that she was just discharged from the hospital this morning and the reason she's in there in the first place was Liz.

She had a heart of gold, I could tell. Because no matter the bad things that monster had done to her, she was still worried as fuck about the said person.

"What if she doesn't make it?" Alex kept on panicking and a few people who were around us shot her somewhat pity looks.

Alex had lost her family and found a new one. But now it was as if she's losing it again.

"Shh, Alex! She's going to be all right! We've got the firemen saving her already!" playing the responsible role, Ashton spoke.

A tear finally escaped her eye and I just couldn't handle it. I felt a presence beside me at the same time, suddenly nudging my arm with their elbow.

I turned to face the owner of the elbow whom I thought was Michael but instead, it was a crying Luke.

He wanted me to comfort his sister for him. His blue eyes could speak, oh my God.

"Hey, don't cry, Alex. Don't you dare waste those tears on a horrible person like that. Have you forgotten what she'd done to you? This might be her punishment." I bowed my head down, trying to keep her gaze as she dropped it to the ground.

Michael nodded, agreeing with me while Ashton was already gone; asking questions to the nearby people. He always knew what to do at the right time yet I was the complete opposite.

"I know, Calum. But she took care of me when everyone else left! She was the reason I ever survived and have a family in the first place!"

And she collapsed in my hands, letting out her cries as her head rested on my shoulder. I stiffened for a second, but as the crackling of fire haunted my ears, I let go and slowly lifted my hand up to stroke her hair.

Luke and Michael approached our hugging state: the blonde boy rubbing his sister's back as he cried, too; the purple haired boy rubbing my back to, I don't know, calm me down?

"The neighbors said..." Ashton suddenly dashed for us, panting with his hands on his knees, "...they said that Liz was yelling and stuff before they saw the fire."

Alex pulled out of my embrace and wiped away her tear-stained cheeks. "What? Where is she now?" came her reply.

Ashton only shook his head and yells covered the background as our attentions fixed on the front door where a few firemen were carrying a stretcher.