Chapter 4

"What happened to you Saf?" Nik says breaking the silence.

"What do you mean, Nik?"

"You were always hopeful and happy."

"Nik, I gave up on the idea of happiness. I am just done. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with you. I've been betrayed by too many people I love in my life." I say walking over the water.

"Well, I promise baby sister, I will not betray you."

"Sure," I say rolling my eyes not getting my hopes up.

"Let's go see if Gloria has anything," Nik says again link arms me.

We chatted as we walked, with him catching me up on what I missed in Mystic Falls, Virginia.

Once we made it to the bar and we walked inside we found nothing.

"Where is she?" Nik says.

"She cleared out," I said noticing none of Gloria's trinkets around the bar. "She must have been spooked by someone. Or worse."

"We better got back and get the others so we can find another witch," Nik says frantically.

We quickly run back to the warehouse to find Rebekah and Stefan starring at each.

"Lover spat?" I snarl.

"Gloria disappeared," Nik said quickly catching everyone up to speed.

"He was asking about Mikeal, he is not with us," Rebekah says.

"How unfortunate for him," I say as Nik snaps his neck. "Not fair, I want to do it."

"He betrayed me so I get to do the neck-snapping," Nik says.

"Well, that explains Gloria then," I say.

"What?" Nik says turn towards me.

"Well Stefan obviously knows something we don't about the necklace, so he probably went to see Gloria to see if figure out who had the necklace. And because she is now missing, that means ..."

"She found out who," Rebekah said

"Good job, Bekah. Now how does he know? My bet is because he is the one who gave to the third party."

"But how did he get it?" Rebekah asks.

"1921," Nik says.

"Thanks for taking away my dramatic reveal, Nik."

"Of course, what are big brothers for."

"You must have dropped the last night in the bar. Stefan probably picked up and kept it. And I think I know who he gave it to."

"Who?" Nik asks.

"The girlfriend obviously. Think about it. The necklace was technically a locket. And you said that the older Salvatore was in love with Stefan's girlfriend. So what is something light and easy to care that keeps people from being compelled?"

"Vervain," Nik says starting to get my path of thought.

"And what is something simple that can carry vervain without looking like it?"

"A locket," Rebekah says.

"So that means Stefan gave the necklace to the doppelgänger. And if Gloria said it is on a girl, present tense, that means ..."

"The doppelgänger is still alive!" Nik says finally realizing my train of thought. "So I just have to kill her and I can make hybrids!"

"Not so fast, Nik. This is mother's curse we are talking about. She hated what we are so ..."

"You don't think it the whole story?" Nik says getting a murderous rage in his eye.

"Of course not."

"So what now?" Rebekah asks.

"Well dear sister, You and Nik go to Mystic Falls and see if I am right and do what ever you plan to do to fix it while I go back to my life," I say

"No Saf, your coming with us," Nik says

"No Nik, I have a life here. I am not leaving."

"Fine," Nik says.

"Just keep in touch this time," I say hugging him.

"Oh we will," Nik says driving a silver dagger into my back

"Basta..."