Chapter 17

After Nik had his little blowout, I first decided to head up to Chicago to pack up my apartment. That took about two weeks to sort through my junk and pack away the rest.

After that, I decided to head down to the Big Easy.

"I'm back!" I yell in the compound.

"Well, well, well. The Queen of the Quarter has returned," Marcel says as he looks down at me. 

I smile as he walks down the stairs. "Sorry I haven't called. I got dragged into people's drama.

"It's been almost a month, she was getting worried," He says coming down the stairs.

"Well, either of you could have called," I snark. 

He hugs me as he says, "Welcome back."

"Now, I'm going to see her," I say breaking away from the hug. 

"But be back by 7. I'm having a little benefit diner here at the compound tonight and I need a date," He says look at me.

"I don't even have a dress, Marcel. How ..."

He smiles before saying, "I can have one of my vampires go grab a dress for you if you want."

I smile before saying, "Fine, I'll go. I'll check in with her then I'll to go dress shopping.  I'll back here by 6, okay?"

"Perfect."

I smile before heading out the door. I speed back down to the church. As I arrive at her door, I knock on it before stepping in. "Davina, darling, I'm back."

"Safiya!" She said running into my arms. 

"How is my favorite witch doing?" I say holding her in my arms. 

She gives me a small smile before she starts complaining, "I'm bored up here, Saf. All I do is paint."

"Davina, this is the only safe place for you. At least until the witches lose all their magic," I state.

"I know, I jus-"

Before she finishes her statement, she leans back like she is possessed. She then runs over and starts drawing on an easel. 

"D, you okay?"

As she finishes the drawing she takes out her phone. 

"Marcel, there is a witch in the Cauldron doing magic," She says into the phone. 

I don't care to listen in but the call is quick. "What was that about?"

"I sense when witches do magic and Marcel asked me to call when I do," She explains.

"Smart."

"So are you still being hunted?" She asks.

I raise my eyebrow, "Well, not any longer, but you never know."

"How's your family?" 

"You really like asking the hard questions, don't you?" I comment.

She gives me a smile as she goes back to one of her drawings. 

"So besides being bored how are you doing?"

"Fine."

"Do you need anything?" I ask as watch her do some chalk drawings.

"If you wanted you could get me some books to read. Don't get me wrong, I love to paint but I always need some more to do," She says.

I nod my head. "Any request or do you want me to surprise me?"